Anyone else being Hypothyroid here?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

?I`m hypothyorid, and have been struggling with losing weight ever since I got diagnosed. Been like 8 years now... My weight was still up and down prior to that, but then I could lose if I wanted to.

?I`ve been able to lose when I`ve been correctly medicated, but that`s not very often. Managed to lose 17 kgs 6 years ago with a LCHF diet....but it doesn`t work for me anymore, so here I am trying this ...

Hopefully it`ll work.

?What I`m wondering is, do you think the hypothyroidism slows down the loss on Xenical? I`m reading about all of you guys losing 8-10 lbs first week....and here I come along, losing like 3 lbs first week...Feels a bit discouraging.

?But as usual things might be harder...or what? Would love to hear from others with same diganosis... How much have you lost? How fast?

Please tell smile

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Morning,

I don't have the same condition but wanted you to know I lose between 2-3lb a week and some weeks I've just maintained.

Everyone's body is different.

• Posted

Good to hear! Thanks! I`m actually superhappy with 2-3 lbs a week, it`s just the comparising to others that puts me down wink

?Yup, everyone`s body is different, - and as long as we lose, slowly or quickly, that`s the goal, right? smile

• Posted

How much you lose with orlistat is based on:

A. How heavy you are to start (ie how much you need to lose)

B. How much of your current diet is fat based. 

Heavier people will lose more when they start ANY diet. They have more to lose so they lose more to begin with.

Orlistat works on binding to dietary fat. If you already eat low fat it will do nothing for you. But if your diet is high in fat, orlistat will bind to it, flush you out a bit and force you not to eat it...thereby making you lose weight.

That's not even to consider everyone's individual bodies and medical conditions. 

I think that is why doctors tell us to try it for 3 months and see if it works. It is a very individual thing if Orlistat will work for you. Mostly based on your normal day to day diet. 

• Posted

Yeah, I know....I`m quite heavy - and I`m eating pretty fatfree, and I find it easy to do so. But I`m not fanatic and I think using these pills will help me on my way....so even though I`m not losing fast, I`m losing steady and that`s really "hurray" for me! smile Haven`t been able to lose like this in a long time smile I know trying to lose weight with my hypothyroid, is like peeing against the wind. It sucks really wink

?But now, my first 2 weeks, I`ve lost quite a few kilos, and I`m happy.

?And that is with no exercise so to speak....I just haven`t had time, but will do better soon. I guess exercise makes it even easier to lose?

?I`ve been trying to watch my calories as well as my carbs too. Gets better effect that way.

?So far so good, so let`s just continue and see smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.