Anyone else completely gone off sweet food??

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi - i feel like a freak, over the past 18months ive suffered from nausea 80% of the time, no real explanation for it so i can just assume that its hormone related as if feels very much like pregancy - which im not, however i do get bursts of hunger during the day but its always for savory food, the thought of eating sweet food, even tea which i use to love, really repells me and its so upsetting, there is not much about this on the web, just from women who are pregnant who experience this early on....has anyone else had this???

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sadly not, much to my detriment! In menopause it becomes harder to control blood sugar levels so it's actually quite good that you are eating much less sugar. It's interesting that you don't want sugar though - I have a mega sweet tooth and my glucose levels are too high so for the past two weeks I have cut out all the usual culprits...cakes, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, fizzy drinks, desserts, sweetened yogurt, etc. I thought I would miss it massively, but I haven't! Only the odd craving a couple of times, but nothing much at all. If you are still going through the menopause then hopefully this will all settle down afterwards. xx

• Posted

Sugar is like a drug to me and I'm having a hard time giving it up... I do crave a pop or some sweets just about everyday.. I am trying to eat more protein and veggies to help with the cravings. But giving up sugar either voluntarily or not is the best thing I think. Someday I will succeed!! : )

• Posted

good Morning Kelly I am with you, every day I crave something sweet. I’ll treat myself to a York peppermint Patty, which I absolutely love, and then in the evening or towards, I will be craving something sweet. I have found that Dairy Queen has no sugar added dilly bars, so I will take one of those with a few pretzels, put it in a bowl, nuke it for maybe 15 seconds and sprinckle some pink Himalayan salt on top, it’s a low cal/sugar treat. Also something delicious and savory that’s healthy and low-cal/sugar ate KIND (brand) dark chocolate sea salt nut bars. You may not have a Dairy Queen where you are:( I think the reason we crave this is due to the hormones and because after we eat sweets, it’s like a temporary serotonin high. I really struggle with this, my mother always made homemade baked goods every day, when I was growing up, I guess I’ll blame her LOL. come to think of it she didn’t have until me till she was 37 so she was probably going through perimenopause and craving sweets as well ....HUGS xo

• Posted

Yes, we have a DQ down the street and I do my best to stay far away!! : ) Thanks for all the suggestions BUT once I get motivated, I really need to zero in on my sugar and carb intake--- I also believe once I do something good for myself, I will feel better.. All the bad stuff is so addicting and it just snowballs into other things. Here's a couple things that I do for a sweet healthy treat--- melt a few chocolate chips and mix with a few almonds or walnuts. Another is melt grass fed butter, add cocoa and stevia-- I pour into a paper muffin cup and freeze.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Yes!!! One of my favorite things in life has always been good buttercream frosting on a delicious cake. Until about a year ago. Now... the thought of it makes me ill.

And yes, I feel first trimester pregnant aaaaalllll the time. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say this.

Hope your having a good day today!!

Sara

• Posted

yes. in the beginning. I lost all appetite and lost 40 lbs. in the first few mos. Just like when you have a cold, I didn't want sweets either. I used to always drink sweet tea but stopped when I got "sick". progesterone cream helped me. I.m back to normal with sweets now...almost. I have cravings for donuts sometimes.

• Posted

oh yeh. and i totally feel like a freak but that symptom isn't why. it's all my other weird and crazy symptoms that make me feel that way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.