Anyone else dealing with severe muscle aches/pains?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I have the night sweats and irregular cycles, and worst of all are the relentless muscle aches and pains. Sometimes Tylenol 3s barely dull the pain. I’m going for regular physio and massage (Dr recommended this), but it feels so hormonal (and is at its worst before my cycle starts). Is anyone else dealing with this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, definitely. At first it was rock hard muscles in my neck and upper back. Then it migrated to my calves. It was so painful I could barely walk and it would wake me in the middle of the night.

I went to physical therapy and she was shocked at how hard and tight my calves were. 

In addition to those issues, I still get random weird muscle pains for "no" reason anywhere and everywhere....forearms, in between shoulder blades, even my butt muscles. They go as suddenly as they come some days.

The calf pains are a little more persistent though. I don't understand how hormones can cause all this, but I'm convinced they do.

• Posted

owl girl, I hate to bore you with my story as I have written it many time.  But YES muscle and ligament pain is related to menopause.  Mine started with frozen shoulder, back, hip and leg pain, which was chronic and debilitating.  I saw no less than a dozen doctors looking for help. Not one thought of asking about my menopause status.  Four years later, vaginal atrophy and dryness began and then I was given vaginal Estrace.  Low and behold within a few weeks all the muscle and ligament pain went away.  For me at least, estrogen was part of the problem.  

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this also.  It's horrid. It really destroys your entire life, and the joy we should be able to experience.  

• Posted

Hi owlgirl you just described me 😩 

It's terrible I feel bad for you 

I just got my period after 6 months being gone , which means the scary symptoms will be showing up  .😩 I'm suffering of muscle and joint pain 

• Posted

Hi Owlgirl

Omg you are describing me too! I am 53 and trying to cope with all this too and the muscle pain particularly in the neck and shoulders has literally had me in tears this weekend! I too struggle with vaginal atrophy and have been given Estrtrace and it’s helped a little -bizarre!!!

Crumbs I feel like I’m 80 years old sometimes!!

Thanks so much for your post though as I d been so down with the neck issues and now I know I’m not alone.

Love and hugs to all Peri/meno ladies xxxx

• Posted

Hi owlgirl, yes, i have had neck tightness and shoulder pains for 9 months, my left calf sometimes aches too. I even get pains in my ribs. i have had physio, massages, do swimming, yoga but stopped it all as they all seem to cause me more pain. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.