Anyone else experience dry mouth and excessive saliva?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Does anyone else experience periods of dry mouth and/or excessive saliva? I suffer from health anxiety, but I also have GERD and Allergies. Lately I've had periods where my mouth was very dry which makes it difficult to swallow. I also have periods where it feel like saliva is accomulating in my throat / mouth and I constantly need to swallow.

Long story short I googled which I know I shouldn't do but some of the things that came up were kind of unsettling. Does anyone else experience this?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes on the dry mouth. For the last two days it's been constant...and a bad taste. Some mornings I wake up with my mouth so dry it's scary!!! Chewing on a toothpick helps, as it makes mouth produce saliva.

Other days, mouth will only be dry for an hour or two. Lemon drops help, also. And, dear Joe, make sure you are fully hydrated!!! You need to drink one half your body weight in ounces of liquid...most of it water. No soda or sweet drinks, except a glass or two of gatorade. Sugar aggravates anxiety.

Hope this helps, Honey. Hugs

• Posted

Yes With anxiety comes many things did you know ur arm can go paralyzed from nerves/anxiety. I get dry mouth at night.some is from medications.other is from anxiety. I experience this every night always keep a jug of water next to my bed.I know a woman her anxiety was so bad just talking to another person made her sweat profusly sorry spelled wrong. beads of sweat wld be on her upper lip face body and her mouth became very dry nerves can do alot to your body ive suffered since i was a child had a great mom /dad family.it is hereditary in my family.so bad hugs.
  • Posted

Yes on the dry mouth, Joe. Excessive saliva only when throwing up (not often)

Are you on any meds whhich cause dry mouth?

Remedy - drink some water

And STOP googling everything!!

love Tess  xx

• Posted

Yes all the time.

I was told I have reflux and then sinisus etc

Which doesn't help with my anxiety.

The more I think about it the more it happens.

I constantly have to swallow and it feels like I have something that doesn't want to go down. I to have googled and I scared myself so much. We have to stop googling.

Hope your feeling better soon.

• Posted

Oh my gosh I'm glad I'm not alone although I feel like I am! I'm glad I found this post. I've been suffering for years with this annoying problem! My mouth either gets too much saliva or lately mostly extremely dry where I can't stand it! Yes I have anxiety but it has never been this bad before as lately. Do you think an ENT Dr can do tests to see about my salivary glands? Can someone please talk to me about it and we can give each other support ASAP? Thanks

• Posted

Since last Spring I have experienced excessive saliva. I have to swallow frequently so it takes a long time to fall asleep. Sporadically, my mouth becomes very dry making it hard to swallow unless I take a sip of something. On top of all that there is a very thick phlegm that fills my throat. When I cough, small solid bits of mucus travel up into my mouth. Saw an ENT and he said it had to do with my parotid gland. His advice was to drink plenty of fluids and eat citrus fruits or anything that is bitter. My final symptom is occasionally a hot bitter liquid enters my mouth, I assume from the parotid. I haven't found anything on the last symptom.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Posted

Any other dry symptoms? Rhematoid doctor can rule out auto immune or guide you, no cure for auto immune stuff. googling sucks! Leaves a person with no hope by the way. It even says not to trust test results leaving everyine with anxiety in a dark place. Google is the worst thing yiu can ever do to minds that absorb symptoms and for so,e odd reason believe what they read over doctors and everyone else,it has destroyed so many peoples faith and trust already.we all are sponges so be very very carefil  with google. Even with a diagnosis it is still a nughtmare to google. Always the worst case scenario and forum are a mix but at least theres some helpful stuff in forums. And some very scary stuff as well. We are just human and we live in fight or flight and the web had become the olace we find our danger.
  • Posted

What did you do to your mouth? I have same symptoms .. please recommendation thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.