Anyone else experiencing pain 9 months post op?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I did my operation on the 19th of December 2013, so almost 9 months ago. 

My road to recovery was long and I think it almost took 3 months before I was off the crutches completly and out of the special shoe, and even 9 months post op I have problems with high heels and as a results avoid them.

I still have quite frequent pain in my toe, it is not "I'm going to die" pain but it isn't exactly too good either, but it is a huge improvement from before. I also get an awful lot of pain if I rest any significant amount of my own body weight on my toe or put it under any strain during training. Have anyone els experienced this so many months after surgery?

For the record, I had some kind of Osteotomy surgery with a moderate bunion (I guess) but with problems with cartilage, inflammation and some kind of fluid (I think) inside the bunion creating most of the pain. Also, my doctors and surgeons along with physoterpaist was all happy with the situation about 3 months or so after the surgery.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Frimag.....I am only early days with me (9wks) but know people right up to a year of anniversary can have pain in their toes
  • Posted

Hi, I just wrote a long reply to Mumbles, who was asking about the surgery.  I am in pain and have swelling every day at 13 weeks out.  My friend had surgery by the same doctor last November (10 mos.) and is still in pain.  I wish she had told me this before I had my surgery June 9.  She told me later, or I wouldn't have done the surgery.  I was debating it up until the night before the surgery.  As I said to Mumbles, I am confident that eventualy my foot will feel OK, but it certainly is a much longer recovery than I expected.  As many on this forum have said, it can take a year to fully recover.  I had shoulder surgery in 1985, and I truly lost my arm for a year.  I'm happy to say I recovered fully. God bless and good luck, Joyce
  • Posted

You can read a post I started just now regarding my experience. Basically I'm 10 months in. But as of the second month I started having pain in the ball of my foot. I've just been told that it's an issue with the sesamoid bones and the related tendon, and it can't be fixed.....
  • Posted

I had my bunion surgery 7 months ago on my right foot.  I too am in pain daily.  I actually see my podiatrist today.  I had x-rays on Monday and am axious to find out what he thinks is causing the pain.  He gave me a padded insert for my shoes, thinking I had a problem with the sesamoid bone.  It only helped for a few hours.  I have pain under my big toe, bottom of my foot and in the arch of my foot.  When I looked at the x-ray I thought my pain may be right under where the plate and screws are located.  Anyone have anything similar going on?  I will let you know what my doctor says.  Oh, also I continue to have swelling daily which he was not happy about.
  • Posted

Hi Frimag, I saw my doctor yesterday and after reviewing my x-rays he recommended that the metal plate and screws be removed.  My pain is centered around this area.  When he pushed on a certain spot I jumped and he said that was where a screw was. So I am going to schedule surgery to have hardware removed.  It doesn't sound too bad. He removes it in the hospital, stiches me up and I am able to bear weight that day.  He said I can return to work in 3-4 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.