Anyone else feel low on thyroxine?x

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey,

I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid December 2013 and ever since have been on so many different levels of thyroxine.

I am currently on 25mcg as I was showing as over active so they are trying to sort it out.

I wondered if it's just me or does anyone else feel really low and emotional on this medication? I am a really happy easy going girl and have a wonderful husband who makes me so happy but I have found that these meds make me feel really down and I get angry over things I never would have before.

I have had some bad health in my family recently so that's got me down but I feel so emotional and have not cried this much in a long time!

Does anyone else ever feel like this and is there anything that can help?

Thank you for reading x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, a lot of people say it affects the mood.  For some it can improve the mood!  I have been more emotional on it, I am sure.  But as you say, your emotion could be due to your family issues.  Best advice is to keep on at your doctor. Go in and tell him how you feel etc. Don't be tempted to self medicate or go herbal. One person's side effects might not be another's.

Male. 50. 50mcg

• Posted

My wife has been on an even lower dosage 12.5mg. for about six weeks as her readings were borderline. She feels permanently tired and sleeps at the drop of a hat and says that she is depressed and unhappy.

I mentioned it to our GP today and he said she should come in and have a blood test in two weeks and perhaps the short course has normalised her levels.

• Posted

No such thing as borderline, is that like being a little bit diabetic or a tiny bit pregnant?  12.5 mcg is not a useful dosage of anything, your wife will probably find a sudden upsurge in symptoms, lets hope the doctor will up her dosage!!  (many won't)  Blood test should be accompanied by:- a complete and thorough physical examination, a checking of both her and her family's medical history at the least and the doctor should LISTEN TO HER!!
    • Posted

The dosage was decided by the hospital consultant who did a thorough examination , 24 hour ECG and BP monitoring and wrote to her GP: I think this lady has sub clinical hypothyroidismn which has become a bit more symtomatic . As her TSH remains elevated and the T4  is on the low limit, I would suggest a small dose of thyroxin ie 12.5 mcg once daily to improve her symptoms which are there at present.

I am a little bit diabetic (glucose intolerant) if only I could become pregnant I couild make a fortune from my story:-)

• Posted

It is very confusing for people who are newly diagnosed Hypothyroid.  You ask is there anything that can help?  Imo the only thing that will help is being on the "right dose".  It's not the medication.  You will learn in time to know your body.  You will know if your thyroid is over or underactive.  Underactive will mean you feel like you are in go-slow mode, need to sleep, foggy mind, can't be bothered, depressed, may feel colder than usual.  Overactive and you will feel edgy, jittery, snappy, restless, unable to sleep properly.  Only 'you' will know when things are right not your doctor.  If you can achieve the right dose and feel well .. do not allow your doctor to change the dose of your medication based on the lab tests.  Be sure to work with your doctor to try to arrive at the right dose and make sure he 'listens' to your symptoms and respects 'your' opinion about the dosage.  Be aware that the dosage may need to go up over time.  I wish you well ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.