Anyone else get this????

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have touched on this before (I think!) Have had digestive issues for quite a while - have had hiatal hernia repair and anti reflux surgery - and a few issues with bowels - which have been tested and checked etc (nothing found).! Every so often (at least once in 5-6 weeks or more) for no reason - I will get chronic fatigue, followed by a bad head, then my stomach aches and my nose goes freezing cold and I get shivers - I mean so shivery - I am under a duvet, 4 blankets, 2 hot water bottles fully clothed with socks on cold!!! This time my hands were also freezing. I fell asleep for a couple of hours - then woke up too hot (obviously my thermostat was working again) and I either throw up or have violent diahorrea - (was sick this time) - after which I was OK but totally wiped out (slept for solid 11 hours)! I had no more sickness after this. However - I have lost hearing in one ear (which I am seeing ENT about very soon - which may or may not be linked) otherwise I am clueless. I can't tie it down to any particular thing (food or drink) and it happens whether I am stressed or not - and doesn't involve any alcohol or medications (apart for HRT and paracetamols for the bad head!)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

ive had the surgery too and suffer all these symptons apart from i cant be sick since the surgery(unable).

ive been left with dumping syndrome, pancreatits and also every 4/6 weeks bleeding from the back passage.

my consultant told me previous to my surgery i could experience these things.

ive lost 4 stone in weight.

i wont eat if im at work as i know ill be running the toilet urgently.

the headaches get me down

im freezing cold like you then burning up

tired

fed up

but, without the surgery i wouldnt be here now. so, its bearable.

sorry i have no solution.

you will get use to it and learn how to live with it.

my only tip..... be kind to yourself

• Posted

Thanks Linda,

I know what you mean about not being able to be sick - I can only bring up liquid - and it's pretty violent when it does come! It always makes my throat sore! I couldn't not have had the surgery as I had such bad acid issues - and I have not really lost weight - so I can't complain . Makes me aware that sometimes you have to run with what you got! Never really thought about it being a form of dumping syndrome - but that does make sense.

• Posted

HRT creates artificial hormones and because they are not natural to what your body once produced, it can cause bad reactions. Sometimes it is better to let nature take its course without introducing artificial medications. Maybe try coming off HRT to see if you feel better. Also , get your thyroid checked to make sure you are not low thyroid which can cause fatigue and feeling cold despite being wrapped up.

• Posted

Hi Pippa,

I have been on HRT for a long time - and being honest have not had too many issues with it. I had premature menopause at 28 - and at such a young age would have had a much higher risk of brittle bones and heart problems -. My thyroid has been checked - so I do know that isn't whats causing this . It could just be due to the anti-reflux surgery I guess! I'm trying to avoid highly processed rubbish food - as I usually blame it for my attacks!

• Posted

It sounds like the anti reflux surgery may have caused more problems than solutions . Maybe ask your doctor about treatment for the side effects of your surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.