Anyone else get this symptom with IBS?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I know this sounds disgusting, but most of the times, especially when I eat something high in fat, my stool smells like the food I had. I know this could be a sign of malabsorption and I’m really worried because I’ve also dropped a tiny bit of weight so I’m scared I’m going to lose weight to the point I’ll look like a mummy. I’m going to see my doctor tomorrow.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Do you have IBS-D?
    • Posted

I’m either constipated or get diarrhoea. I usually get diarrhoea when I eat something that really bothers me or that is way too fatty or after alcohol.
    • Posted

Me too! I mean, I’m not sure if your poo is supposed to smell like food you ate constantly but for me, every once in a while, my poo can sometimes smell spicy or kinda like...Mexican food? 😂 idk I eat a lot of Hispanic/Latin/Mexican food. (I’m part Mexican and Cuban)

• Posted

I think it’s definitely not normal and we shouldn’t eat the food causing it to smell like that 😂

• Posted

I would definitely get it checked out the doctors will dignose you with IBS which is wrong. IBS is a made up term for a variety of symptoms that have no real diagnosis the only time you should accept that you have IBS is when you have been tested for everything there is. I have this so called IBS and also have the same issue it will occur when you've eaten something your body can't fully digest the most common foods are carrots, beans, boiled potatoes and onion these foods will pass through the small intistines pretty much unscaved and they will irritate the hell out of your gutt causing it to spasm more which leads to a quick evacuation of the bowel before you're done absorbing the food you've eaten. If this is what's going on it should come out mushy with bits of un degested food and it will look a very pale creamy colour and smell funny.

• Posted

Stool was really solid as I was constipated and half of it was dark brown, half lighter brown. I’ve definitely not had enough tests to be diagnosed with IBS. 
  • Posted

IBS can cause food malasorption.  You may lose weight if food is moving through you too fast if you have diarrhoea, if you are stressing about your symptoms, or reducing your food intake because of your symptoms. The number of tests you need depends on how long it takes your doctor to establish whether or not you have IBS.  It took three and a half months for doctors to figure out my IBS, but everyone is different.  My brother only needed a fecal calprotectin test and a ohysical examination to diagnose IBS.
    • Posted

I’m getting a blood test tomorrow to see if there’s any inflammation since I noticed pink sections in my stool and they are also checking my iron and stuff like that, see what happens after that. I’ve definitely been eating enough so if I’m losing weight it’s cause of my gut problems 
    • Posted

Stress can make you lose weight. However, you say you lost only a tiny bit of weight, so I wouldn’t worry at all about that.  The more you worry, the more likely yo are to lose more weight. Stool colour change and a two toned stool can happen with IBS.  Try to relax as much as possible.
  • Posted

Hi Maria. I have ibs(d), colitis & bile acid malabsorption. most of this controlled by meds & diet. the hardest one to ccontrol out of the 3 conditions is my ibs. i have diarrea every day , but its now more predicatable, & mainly in the 3-4hrs after i wake. It is now usual for me to have at least 3 bowel movements in that time at least 2 of those being diarrea. I find buscopan & mebeverine useless. i was put on amitrptilline low dose by my gi consultant about 2yrs ago which has made a huge difference. it is an old time anti depressant that is now used for nerve pain & also its anti cholingeric effect (it slows the part of the brain that deals with digestion) it has helped to slow my bowels down so i can live with my ibs better. before ami, i used to go throughout the day randomly & unpredictably upto 10 times a day. i started on 10mg & got upto 20mg as my gi instructed. it might be asking for a referral to gastro as your hosp when you see  your doc & discussing this. if i eat  a high fat meal eg, fish n chips or a kfc (rarely) i feel really sick afterwards as i am not used to the high fat, (i eat a relatively low fat diet with not much fibre as i can't break down fibre & it makes diarrea worse). hope this info helps x

• Posted

Wow going to the toilet 10 times a day is absolute hell. And I was complaining about 3 times! The worst thing is feeling like you’re going to s**t yourself all day even if nothing comes out when you go to the toilet.

I really hope you will eventually find a way to stop the diarrhoea completely. IBS is not life threatening but it can be a pain in the **s to live with.

• Posted

Yes happens to me and I have IBs 13 years or it smells of metal 
    • Posted

Have you been experiencing unintentional weight loss?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.