Anyone else got chest wall pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Pain and sensitivity across half my back thankfully went after shingles blisters went. But I'm left with a dull pain in the chest, which started, and which was worse, when the shingles began. Sneezing, laughing etc causes it to hurt and feel tight. Went to GP who gave me medication for suspected heartburn and acid reflux, which didn't help this ache after all and only gave me diarrhoea, so I stopped it. GP listened to heart and said it was OK. I came across an article which described and called this intercostal neuralgia. I also separately found a list of exercises to bring some relief, which I will try. Going to see my GP soon, expecting this theory to be confirmed. Don't want to do anything drastic, like take the steroid injections between the ribs mentioned in the article I found. Anybody else got this and can give some tips? I wonder if it's likely to wear off soon?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

As you're posting in the shingles forum, I'm surprised your doctor didn't explain that the nerve goes from the spine in the back to the front and that yes, this pain is from your shingles. The rash is just one symptom and many people, like me, never get a rash. If it's your nerve along the "bra band", it's the same area I had shingles in two years ago. I now have PHN so still have problems with both my chest and back.

I don't know when your initial shingles was, but it can easily take 4-6 weeks or longer to feel back to normal. It can also take much longer than that, which then may signal PHN-post herpetic neuralgia. Neuralgia means pain, intercostal means it's in the area between the ribs. I'd avoid the exercises. As it's likely from the shingles, you don't want to aggravate the area any more than necessary. Mine is on my left side, so I'm careful when I use that side, particularly with bending, lifting  and twisting. The nerves need to settle down in order to heal.

Take care and good luck.

• Posted

Wow your the only person ive seen on here that had shingles without rash like me ..i sometimes think its been worse cos its all internal and my PHN ive been left with has been a shocker
    • Posted

It's more common than you realize. The worst part is not being able to get the antivirals. I thought I had a couple tiny dots, but didn't have any pain at the time.

• Posted

Hi yep im 2 years post shingles i have post herpatic neuralgia from it .my right thigh where it started from at times still aches so im sure as long as your hearts been propeerly checked that you will find its from shingles.try yoga its helped me heaps
  • Posted

Hello Kathryn. Hello all. Sorry for my delay in responding to anyone past few weeks. Been in and out of hospital for non shingles related issues. I see you've already been responded to and good sound advice you've been given. You will find many good people here and they won't steer you wrong. It's the truth what they are saying that shingles strikes different people different ways. There is so much misinformation out there and dare say ignorance about shingles that it is often misdiagnosed. For those that don't carry the "normal" rash, it can be especially hard to even get the proper meds. You need anti-vitals ASAP. You need rest and your surroundings CALM. Stress will bring on a shingles vaccine faster than anything else. So try to avoid the stress.....you won't power through this illness. Try to get with a private physician who can get to know YOU as a person and not just another revolving number through the door. Most important....get the new shingles vaccine, "Shingrix". It is a two-dose vaccine, just released this past January 2018, so ask for it by name. I suffered near 8 years with well over 100 outbreaks of shingles. I have taken both doses of this new shingles vaccine and can say with confidence that it DOES work. After so many outbreaks, it's left some nerve damage but by comparison, i have my life back and feeling blessed.

Hoping you will be feeling better soon, friend

~R

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.