Anyone else had a cold?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

This is going to sound weird but has anyone else suffered with a cold while having cfs?

I was under the impression that you couldnt get a cold with this illness. but for the past 2 weeks i have suffered badly. It was difficult to know what was my "normal"tired and what was a cold tired.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline, yep I have just got over a stinker of a cold that had me in bed permanently for a week...normally I manage some time out of it!

Never heard that CFS/ME sufferers don't get colds🤔.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Caroline

Yea I get cold after cold after cold, especially in the autumn/winter months. Then there's the allergies. All manner of lovely mucus parties combined with the exacerbation of symptoms. It's actually reached the point that I couldn't tell you if I have a cold or not. The only time I can turn round and say yes I have a cold is when it's bordering on flu. Lol.

Best bet is to just take things day by day and listen to what your body needs. You'll know soon enough what's normal for you and what's not.

Hope that's been helpful.

Helen

• Posted

Hi

Absolutely. Its like there are layers. You have your CFS layer, a fatigue illness which makes you more or less permanently feel fluey, post-viral. On top of that, unfortunately, you can get infections: viral and secondary bacterial infections. Finally, on a layer below ME, you have complications and other maladies unique to you which you may have had from childhood, or which are acquired during the natural ageing process: I receive medication for: high cholesterol, asthma, depressed thyroid, hay-fever and reflux oesophagitis.

When in a questioning mood I wonder how many such maladies are linked to my CFS, and it is mind-bending, say, to separate symptoms of flu from flu-like symptoms! But my acid reflux and high cholesterol and the accompanying prescribed drugs are probably hereditary; at 50+ I reckon I'd be on statins even if I'd never got M.E.

Hope this is helpful in theory. Sometimes it is helpful in practice too, e.g. when you think you are having a relapse- to say, no this is probably flu, and, sparing yourself the anxieties about your CFS, just go to bed for two weeks like a non-sufferer.

P

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

Unlike the other people who have replied I don't seem to get colds, ever! It does surprise me when those around me are falling like flies and I don't succumb. I just look at it as a much needed advantage of this terrible condition.

Liz

• Posted

Phew, thank you Liz, i don't feel like the only one now.

My poor sister keeps catching them then passing them onto my parents but i seem to clear! Don't know whats worse this illness or having regular colds!

• Posted

Oh I think this illness is much worse! Maybe it's a sign we have an over-active immune system?

• Posted

Hi caroline_74621,

I'm sorry you were under that impression. I remember getting a cold when I didn't have CFS and it was just just the standard symptoms: a cough, snotty nose, headache etc. But whenever I get a cold since having CFS it feels like I have the flu every time or at least that it's knocked me for six.

• Posted

Hi Sockpim,

On bad days i get the flu like symptoms along with the feeling of being hangover thrown into it! I just found it interesting that i usually end up with every cold but this year its only been one very small one.

I do go through times when i think im about to get one and my throat becomes very sore. Its all so confusing, im not surprised the doctors and professionals dont understand it either!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.