Anyone else had insomnia on Citalopram???

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi everyone

Just need some advice or similar stories here.  I've been on Citalopram for almost 4 weeks now.  The starting side effects have mainly worn off and I'm starting to notice the benefit of being on them.  However I have been suffering with insomnia since I started taking them, falling asleep quickly but waking up 3 or 4 hours later at best and not getting anymore sleep.  On a bad day no sleep at all, so I've been feeling like a walking zombie 3-4 days a week.  Went to my GP today and she wasn't happy with this side effect and said that sometimes it's not one that goes.  She has given me another month but after that if I still am having issues she wants to swap me to something else.

So my question is has anyone else experienced this and it has settled down after a bit or am I on a loser here?

Thanks

Louise xx

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Louise,

Cit kicked in for me on day one, both the good & bad effects, including insomnia. Did it settle down? And if so, in how many weeks? I Hope you're well. G.

• Posted

Hi Gabriel, 

I started feeling the side effect right away also... I am on day 6 and hope I get through this as this is the second med I have tried.. I feel like quitting!!

Toni

• Posted

i know this reply is late. I thought it might be beneficial for people looking for similar info. I started my Celexa about 4.5 weeks ago. Tons of side effects at first four weeks, I almost give up the treatment. After reading the posts on this forum, i decided to stick to it. It is amazing after about 4 weeks, majority of the side effects are gone. The iNsomnia stayed a bit longer. At 4.5 weeks, I was able to sleep 4 hours + 2 hours + 1 hour. So a total of 7 hours per night, not bad at all. In the first week, I could only sleep 2 hours each night.

I am happy I found this forum and decided to give the medicine a 6 weeks to see the effect. I am totally fine now. No more anxiety, depression and panic attack. Doc has suggested to take the medicine for at least 6 more months or longer. I will take it as long as I need.

• Posted

Hi Louise!

I know you posted this some ago but am going through the same situation? Did it get better for you eventually?

Thanks

• Posted

Started taking this med on Sunday.  My depression has gotten the best of me and I couldnt wait any longer.  Insomnia has been my biggest issue with these meds.  Slept a little the first few nights but last night I dont think I was able to get more than an hour of rest.  This lack of sleep is affecting my work performance and increasing my anxiety.  I plan on continuing, just hope I can get some sleep soon.
  • Posted

I think I am now figuring out that is why I have insomnia. I have been so tired and got a fitbit tracker and am averaging 3.5-5 hours per night of sleep. I have some of the other symptoms. I had Savella for a short time and changed to a different medical provider and had to stop. I have gained lots of weight, can't sleep, and feel like I am anxious and think I am having other problems but it all boils down to Cytalopram. So after this batch I think I will try to see if I can get Savella or maybe something else. The headaches are the worst, I sweat all the time and I haven't felt like myself for a very long time. I think before I got on these, but now the other symptoms are getting worse. I hope you do better. I will let you know when I switch. Good Luck to you!

Joanne

• Posted

Hi Lousie,

I had same problem in early weeks. It's such a strange experiece, to be so, so tired and yet wide awake. I had it for many weeks then it went away. Nobody knows how you will go with the side effects, only you will know when you get there. TIP: Make sure you have g.p that is worthy of the title of g.p. many have absolutley no understanding of how difficult it can be to withdraw from it when the time comes. I am withdrawing after a few years use, now using the citalopram drops, which allow very gradual withdrawl using just 2 mg per month over a year. That's how powerful these drugs are. I went through the g.p's parrot mantra of doing 20mg one day 10mg the next alternating over just 2 weeks, far, far too quick.

• Posted

Has anyone tried taking this medicine in the morning instead of before bed? If it causes you to not sleep maybe that would be the better time? 
  • Posted

ive been suffering from no sleep for 12 nights now dose it subside and if it dose how long dose it take

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Is it 12 nights since you started Citalopram?

If so then yes, it's a common side effect at the start and it does subside for a lot of people. For me it took over a month before my sleep increased to around 5 hours but that was better than the 2-3 I got at the start.

• Posted

i was on matazapine for 3mths befor that 30 mls then 15 for 2wks then straight onto Citalopram dont no if im suffering withdrawal from the mirt or if its the Citalopram thank you for answering

• Posted

I'd say it's both, but both will ease, it takes time though, every day is a step closer.

• Posted

Hi Charlie ive only been on Citalopram 2 weeks at 10 do you think as i build up to 20 my sleep will come back im starting my 4th week off mirt now they say it takes a mth to get out off your cistern realy dont want to go back on it do you think thats why the doc is holding off for 2 weeks thank you still on nightal

• Posted

I think upping your Citalopram dose is likely to have temporary side effects and it might negatively affect your sleep until they settle.

• Posted

so stay on 10 and night all for now and see how i go getting 5 to 6 hrs on night all dont no wether thats the tablet or me guna try 1tablet25 of the tablet tonight instead of 2 what do you think thanks Charlie

• Posted

Do you mean 1 Nytol instead of 2?

I think if you do go up to 20mg of Citalopram you should go up slowly, at least do it 5mg at a time but be prepared at each change to feel worse for a while.

Personally I'd give 10mg a bit longer (2 weeks isn't very long) and see if getting more regular sleep improves things, but unfortunately with these medications it's all trial and error.

• Posted

im having to take 2 to get 5 to 6 hrs guna try 1 tonight but dont think that will work ill stick to the 10 on Citalopram for 2 more weeks im also on pregablin 100 on a morning 100 at night bad stomach pains at the moment im fed up Charlie thanks for answering

• Posted

I didn't know you were on pregabalin too, guessing that's for anxiety rather than e.g. epilepsy?

5/6 hours - if it helps you're beating me, I could only manage 3 at best when I started Citalopram!

I'm not surprised you're fed up, the side effects will get less though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.