Anyone else have a midfoot 'clunk' and deteriorating Lisfranc ligaments?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have EDS (hypermobility type) and have had a whole host of joint issues and surgeries - think hip, ankle, shoulder, throat, wrists, blah blah blah. Seems like my feet were feeling left out, so have decided to join the party as well.

I have developed a 'clunk' in my mid-foot - when it happens, it is sudden, extremely painful and produces an audible snap. To begin with, it happened just the once. Then again a few months later, then a few weeks later, then a few days later....now it happens HUNDREDS of times a day. Every day. The surgeon has tried immobilising my foot in an aircast for 6 weeks. No joy. I've been through a couple of iterations of my orthotics. No joy there either.

I am female, early 40's, and still wish to be active (not talking Tough Mudder here!). MRI shows my lisfranc ligament is very unhappy, though not torn (MRI was done when the 'clunk' was 'only' happening around 20 times per day). Surgeon said he had never previously seen a lisfranc ligament get into such a state without a precipitating injury (hello EDS).

Has anyone out there experienced the same thing? What have you tried? What has worked? What hasn't?!

My surgeon has floated the idea of tightrope surgery, though he also said he had presented my case at a regional meeting of foot/ankle orthos and their consensus was fusion.

Just hoping to find I am not alone with my problem, and see what solutions have worked!

Cheers

Deb

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Have you tried proper foot exercises and shoes with very sturdy arches that do not allow the movement that cause the muscles and pain. It took me a few months to find the correct movements and shoes. Never walk on feet without proper foot support. 

Also eds is a issue that needs continual adjustments to foot and ankel support. I had been to so many pediatrists they never help with their custom arches and found what worked for me. Take time to work on shoes for finding arch support . I also have struggle sand take time to rest ice exercise and elevate feet daily. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.