Anyone else have cardiac problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

Where do I start? January 2017 I first went to the doctors with sudden waking at night and dizziness (as well as many other unpleasant symptoms). I was quickly diagnosed with vertigo, prescribed Prochlorperazine and referred to ENT. My first appointment they concurred however my second with a different doctor didn’t agree with the vertigo diagnosis believing it was something else and referred me to a sleep clinic and for an MRI. After a few tests for sleep apnoea this was ruled out. My MRI, however, showed an arnold Chiari malformation. A further referral to a neurosurgeon was done with a second MRI to check my cerebral fluid flow. During this time, my symptoms were worsening with chest pain and a numb left arm being thrown into the mix. Another visit to my GP resulted in a referral for a 24 hour ECG. The results from that showed I had 4 episodes in one night of tachycardia whilst asleep so the doctor diagnosed arrhythmia. A cardiologist appointment had already been arranged but not until the beginning of October. In the meantime hardly a night goes by now without me waking with one symptom or another and I’ve had to go off sick due to lack of sleep and inability to do my job properly (I’m a community nurse). I’m worried obviously and would like people’s thoughts. I’m trapped in this horrible world and it has affected my mood considerably which probably doesn’t help. I haven’t got stress or anxietyfrom my job which has been suggested. By the way my cerebral flow was fine so discharged from neuro now, my Chiari is a watch and wait. It’s rare I have issues with tachycardia during the day other than palpitations on occasion and every now and then tachycardia after eating. At the moment I’m controlling the best I can but I’m truly fed up now after 19 months of this. My Chiari symptoms I control by myself or meds. Does anyone else have any of these issues and what could it be? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey there. Firstly, it really sucks so hang in there  & I feel like I am reading my own list of symptoms!! 

I had cardiac issues too and my surgeon whilst couldn’t say definitely said theoretically because my brain is under pressure (specifically the cerebellum) that an irregular heart beat is highly possible because that part of our brain is responsible for many things including automatic functions. My breathing and heart rate were not right. I had surgery for my chiari malformation and also had a syrinx nearly down to the start of my lumbar (pretty extensive). I had surgery last year and my heart rate returned to normal a week or two  after the surgery as well as my breathing/sleep apnoea back to normal. It’s been 8 months and I feel 90% normal. Occasional tingling in arms but I also have 3 bulged discs in my spine from a motorbike accident so we think it’s hghly likely causing the tingling. 

I opted for surgery for the chiari onlg 4 months after I found out I had it and it was scary at the time but I have no regrets what so ever. 

My advice is to see another neurosurgeon if you are not happy with the opinion of your current one.  And be firm with it as you know your own symptoms and are living with it every day. It was only because I pushed for further tests and explained it was largely impacting my quality of life that surgery was right for me.

All the best. X 

• Posted

Hi, you sound a lot like myself, I was diagnosed at the end of 2016 beginning of 2017 with Chiari. I have frequent headaches especially in the back of my head, my neck hurts almost like i get a Charley horse in it. I also have a lot more symptoms to go with it (memory problem, slurred speach). I was diagnosed with SVT in the early 2018, not sure what caused the SVT? I found out only bc i was almost about to hit the floor, i was thinking it was my chiari causing the dizzy spells until a holter monitor showed i was tachy at around 180 bpm while at work.. I have yet to have surgery for either condition. Due to no health insurance and not qualifying for any assistance. I still work 84 hours a pay period, and live a somewhat "normal life" with a handful of medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.