Anyone else have medication induced akathisia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I just wondered if anyone is suffering from or has suffered from akathisia as as result of taking ssris or other medication? I'm in the grips of this thing and feel very alone and scared. There isn't much info on the web about it.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When I started taking citalopram, I had a horrible time with akathisia (among other side effects), so much so that I stopped taking the medication altogether. As I understand it, this is a fairly common side effect of many SSRIs...that being said, you might speak with your doctor and ask if you might try a different medication (there are a slew of them out there)....I've heard that people who've had a bad experience with one SSRI do well on another...trial and error. Best of luck to you...hope you feel better.
  • Posted

I have been on some form of peychotropic medication for 40 year. Not now and still have akathesia. I am so distrought, i have just been given two cornea transplants because I had a rare sire effect from amantadine given for akathisia. Now I only take meds not known to cause akathisia. I still have it. I am taking mirapex for"restlss legs"  and now must stop driving because it causes one to fall asleep without warning. I never go to forums. I seem to have no resources. I. My bipolar has improved but I still have  my life effected. eing 65, just coming out of blindness, I really want to take advantage of the wonders of living. I am so upset to be held back by side effects of meds for the side effects of other meds and feel a need to do take advantage of everything in  life now because I am getting older and have just realised how great life is. I don't  know if ther is help anywhere..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.