anyone else have this

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I recently posted about a possible allergy to ibuprofen, today I took aspirin with paracetamol and got the same sore feeling in chest which makes me want to cough. Why would I all of a sudden have become allaergic to pain killers. This has been going on since January when I had viral tonsilitis and then a chest infection. I was given 2 different antibiotics again one of which I had a severe reaction too, ie large raised lumps on face and rapid heartbeat. I am at a loss as to what could have caused this as I am now scared of taking tablets, I do have GERD and do not want to make my oesophagus inflamed which is what appears to be happening.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you discussed this with your GP?  That ought to be your first port of call with a query like this, or, possibly a pharmacist but your GP will know you best.

It could be nothing to do with allergies but the drugs causing gastric irritation.  You say you already suffer from GORD [or GERD in the US]

Go and see your doctor.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your quick response, yes I have mentioned to GP who looked at me as if I had gone mad and said they did not see why it would cause this. I agree it probably is irritation it just makes it hard when you have a headache if everything causes this reaction. I am seeing them next week so will ask again.
    • Posted

I have to take steroids and my Consultant always gives me enteric coated drugs,  his Junior Doc gave me uncoated drugs recently and caused no end of problems for me.  Fortunately my GP gave me the EC version.

Aspirin is a known irritant and if you have to take it, there is a coated version.  Ibuprofen, I don't know whether there is a coated version but perhaps if you stand up while you take it and drink a large glass of water and perhaps take it after food, it might help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.