Anyone else have this experience??

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started taking Paroxetine 10mg, I took it for 7 days with no side effects then on day 8, I woke up with nausea, constant, intense burning and cramping of the stomach. As the day went on I experienced episodes of chills so bad my teeth were chattering alternating with hot flashes.

I have taken Paroxetine 3 times before in a period of 15 years and it always worked excellent, no side effects upon staring the medication.

Needless to say, this really scared me and I discontinued the medication. Ever since I stopped taking it my stomach has been completely messed up. I am also having anxiety and panic attacks worse now than I was before starting the paroxetine.

My question is, has anyone else had this experience when starting Paroxetine, how long did it last, did your stomach straighten out after prolonged use of the Paroxetine?

Last question. Has anyone started Paroxetine at 2.5mg, and slowly titrated up, and did it help with side effects?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie,

I had a similar experience to yours. I have taken Paroxetine 20 mg. three times since 2007. The last time was for nearly 10 years and it worked fine for me. Last summer I decided to try and quit Paroxetine, not wanting to be on an antidepressant all my life. BIG MISTAKE!!!  Every time I tried to quit and started again I had a rough time of it. So, never again.

Two months later the anxiety attacks came back with a vengeance and I finally started taking Paroxetine around December. After five weeks of terrible side effects, especially nausea and genterally feeling physically sick, the GP put up my dossage to 30 mg. A couple of weeks went by and there was no improvement.

I saw a psychiatrist who told me that from his experience if Paroxetine has worked for you well before, it should work for you again. However, since I was suffering so much from the side effects, obviously being very sensitive to the meds, he recommended I should switch to cipralex (lexapro/escitalopram) 10 mg. which is a more updated SSRI med with less side effects, much cleaner, safer and even safe for pregnancy. The tapering process was also easier, as it is practically the same type of drug.

Anyhow, today I'm on day 10 of 10 mg cipralex, feeling better physically but not mentally, yet. I am very surprised that I did so poorly on Paroxetine (I gave it nearly 3 months, but couldn't take it any more) although, the anxiety DID go away during that period. Now I'm (not so) patiently waiting for the Cipralex to work, so not our of the woods yet.

Please bear in mind this is my personal case, and each person reacts differently, so don't be discouraged by my story.

To your question at starting Paroxetine at 2.5 and slowly titrate to help with the side effects is probably a good idea, although it delays the healing process. That's up to your, obviously.

Best of luck,

Louise

• Posted

Hi Louise,

Thank you for your response. I see my GP tomorrow and I am going to ask about the lexapro.

I was very upset over the paroxetine problems. It was my lifesaver in the past but I guess we all change with age and what used to work just doesn't anymore.

I hope you have success with your lexopro and the destructive anxiety issues stop.

Please keep me updated on your progress, it's very beneficial to hear positive results from someone who is struggling on the same road as myself.

Wishing you all the best!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.