Anyone else have trimalleolar fracture, Post. mallelous not corrected? Bone graphs?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle in 3 places and dislocated it on March 17, had ORIF Mar27, with 2 screws on inner ankle and a plate and 6 screws on the outer ankle, but nothing on the break at the back of the ankle. Cast was removed at 5 weeks and was told to gradually go to FWB after one week and start physio. When I went back for the one month follow up, the surgeon was surprised to see me still limping and having stabbing pains in the inner part of my ankle, he ordered a scan and it showed that the posterior malleolus was still completely fractured. When asked why there was not a plate or screws put there he said he tries not to because it makes the ankle more stiff. He had me start on a none stimulator. Last visit he says looks like 50 percent healed and could start putting 50 percent weight on again, went back today still with pains, and said he is ordering another CT, he thinks the bone stimulator is not working and sounds like I need a bone graph surgery to repair? Has anyone else gone through this, or did you get a fixation at the back during the original surgery?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i don't want to add to your frustration but to go full weight bearing after 5 weeks is very early and whey to soon. i know everyone heals differently but wow. i had broken ankle in 3 places with two plates and 7 screws and it took me 9 weeks to for partial weight bearing at about 40 lbs. normally doctors look at the xrays to see how the ankle is healing. every weeks my doctor added weight to my ankle and at 11 weeks i was full weight bearing. 5 weeks fwb trimalleolar fracture 3 places in my opion is whey to soon.

• Posted

agreed,way too soon!!!I had a pilon fracture which is 2 brakes on the lower leg that attaches to the ankle..fractured the tibula and fibula....2 plates and 16 screws..surgery was July 12th..no weight bearing for at least 12 weeks..just physical therapy for range of motion and strengthening of muscles. ..

• Posted

I agree, the dr said fro looking at xray that it was healed and weight bearing would strengthen it. He was never looking at the back part though, until I complained of the pain and he ordered the scan, then you could see how bad it was. I hope I didnt do more damage when I was walking on it.

• Posted

your doctor should know better than that, that makes me mad because he could cause you a major setback.

• Posted

I know, I wish he had put a plate or screws on the back during the original ORIF, I really think I would be better already if he had. It's very disappointing and last thing I want is another operation. I don't handle pain meds well, so it's really difficult for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.