Anyone else living with Fibromyalgia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is anyone else living with fibro please? Iv had constant pain for months in different parts of my body with no explanation, I have had a full blood count which came back normal with slight borderline thyroid, my doctor has diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. Lately iv been having upper back pain as though someone has their knuckles pressed into my back constantly which knocks me sick, also pins and needles in my arms and fingers, and tonight the ache radiated into my ribs, has anyone else experienced this? What treatment is there for fibro? I'm not sure I can live like this. I'm due to see my doctor next week. X

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Donna

Try to find a support group near you. I live in Northern Ireland and found it hard to find a group near me but my Doc has told me that one has started in Belfast so i am going to go to it.

Soft hugs & xx

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I came on to find some advice on my fibro meds and stumbled across your post, so wanted to say hi.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a year ago but I have a number of other chronic problems that seem to trigger pain in various parts of my body, so its took a long time to know which pain was which and how to treat it.

Everyone you meet will have a different story about how they came to be part of the fibro fighter club so don't worry if you're symptoms are different or no one really has a definitive answer just know you are not alone. :-)

Treatment will vary depending on your GP and if you are referred to Rheumatology or Pain clinics.

Because I have spine and joint pain due to other conditions I was on Tramadol and Co-Codamol for a long time before I eventually got into see the right people to diagnose Fibro.

Like you I was suffering with finger and wrist problems and horrible pain in my toes and heels, shoulder blades and ribs. 

Pain meds didn't even touch some of this pain and it took a rheumatology department to start the ball rolling on what to do next.

There are a number of medications - I was started on amitryptaline (sorry if misspelt) but I reacted badly to it, which was a shame because years ago it worked well at getting my knee back to normal following nerve damage after surgery. I'm sure there is another similar med they can try you on at this stage but I can't remember it's name, I can't take that either!

Then following a massive waiting time for the pain clinic I was started on something called Gabapentin. Unfortunately this is why I've come on here I had a severe allergic reaction to it & I'm waiting to see immunologists to figure me out. So its left me with no pain management other than co-codamol to rely on.

There is also Pregabalin but this is expensive and most UK NHS trusts steer clear unless you have no choice.

This is why I'm being checked first, it's 3 times as expensive so a waste if I react badly to it.

Everyone has different experiences of the meds and certainly in the early days of all them I have found functioning a little difficult but they do subside for most.

Make sure to ask your GP to refer you to the hospital as this is where I have found the most support. I started a support group this week to help meet others and learn more so I can always keep you posted if you like.

Stay strong hun xxx

• Posted

hi Donna,

I was diagnosed 6 years ago and I have tried just about everything. It really is trial and error. You absolutely can take pain meds as there are some that really do help, depending on the individual. Just because a drug is labeles as "addictive" it does not mean that everyone will become addicted. Only some people are predisposed to addiction due to their brain chemistry. I am not one of them. I can take or leave anything, I just go by what seems to work for the pain. I had tried percoset a while back and it worked ok for about 8 months, then it didn't work as well so I just stopped taking it. Now I take Ultram extended release and Buttans patches. I stop taking them for 2 weeks every 4-6 months so that I do not build up tolerance and it keeps me very functional. Of course, exercise, yoga, tens units, heat, ice, magnesium malate, binaural beats, hypnosis, and 5-htp all help too, as well as staying away from certain food triggers like MSG. Don't be afraid to try meds for pain though, they can help a lot, and are not always going to make you an instant addict. Pain meds, taken responsibly, can greatly improve your quality of life! (((Hugs))) smile

• Posted

Sorry-typo there. I meant Butrans patch. smile
  • Posted

Amitryptyline works brilliant for me but find it really hard to get up in the mornings on it xx getting my vitamin d levels checked also dealing with thyroid problems at the minute, I'm all over the bloody place, the joys of getting older x 
    • Posted

Exactly the same with me Donna if my husband didn't wake me ! Iwould just sleep all day, but once up I'm ok...that Medworks wonders once you get the right dosage,,:-)  Aus

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.