Anyone else on DIAZEPAM?

Posted , 5 users are following.

One of the many times when I was deeply depressed and unable to sleep, my GP gave me just two Diazepam tablets to see how I got on with them. She said if I was OK on them, she could prescribe me more.

The first night, I took the tablet - sorry, I don't know what dose was in them - before taking the dog out for her last walk. On my way back with her, I was staggering so much that I was convinced my Asian next door neighbours would think I was dead drunk!

On the second night, I took it just before I went to bed and when I was lying on my bed, it felt like I was on a ship at sea, It was like the bed was going up and down!

On neither of these nights did I feel as if my sleep had refreshed me so I decided just to go sleepless, rather than take a drug which I knew was highly addictive.

Does anyone else have any strange experiences with them?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, AlyT, Diazepam the generic for Valium and in America at least, most of the time your yellow color is 5 mg. blue is 10 mg. I'm not quite sure what brand you have so I really can't say for sure. But yes, if you are intolerant to them, euphoria is one of the side effects. (It feels something like having a couple of drinks of alcohol) and yes you are right about them being addictive. As with most insomnia medications, it is a false type of sleep. You might try ambien. It is prescribed for insomnia only. Valium is prescribed also as a muscle relaxer and anti anxiety too. Ambien is also addictive. It comes in 5 mg, 10 mg. and CR (13.5 mg). I would suggest trying the lowest for you. There are other non addictive ones too but their main use is usually not for sleep either. Did you try OTC meds such as Tylenol PM, Unisom or Benadryl? Hope that will help you and good luck with trying to sleep.

PS. Don't worry, it's not a sin to get drunk once!

• Posted

why do you have to say your ASIAN neighbours ???
    • Posted

Probably because Asians who practice their faith are very anti alcohol.

• Posted

Hi Alyt I have diazepam when needed I know it is not advised long term as it is addictive and impairs your reactions. I found it knocked me out I was only on 2mg but I didn't get any other side effects it does sound odd! How are you feeling now ? X
  • Posted

I am only them as I need them for severe Anxiety. I try not to take them to be honest but they are there should I stop functioning which is rare
  • Posted

give any sleep aid containing valerian a go, it's what I use and works for me.

N

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.