Anyone else out there on Nortryptyline for Fibromyalgia

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on Nortryptyline and Gabapentin for severe Fibromyalgia for a week. The nortryptyline is causing sleep disturbances, and worse, really bad constipation. Anyone else have that problem?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Pain meds are notorious for causing constipation. There are many atoll softeners that really help. Do colas is gentle any works for most. Sometimes a faster relief is from suppositories that loosen stool in no time.

yikes it can be very miserable. Hope your better soon.

• Posted

Docolax and stool softeners . To fix reply above. Blame it on auto spell. 

Sorry! 

• Posted

Thank you, this medication is known for bad side effects, It may not be the drug for me
    • Posted

Stool softener can be something you can ask your dr about if your concerned about side effects.

when I took the same meds your taking for fibro they gave me horrendous migraines. 

Cymbalta helped the pain & I felt much better lifted my spirits and every move wasn't painful.

Also a diet change eating more fiber, veggies  yogurt could be another option for you. 

• Posted

I'm going to have to get off the nortryptyline, I have a migraine right now! Cymbalta might be a good option, thanks for mentioning it

• Posted

I was on gabapentin but gave me really bad headaches and I actually felt worse than before I went on them
    • Posted

It gave me horrible migraines. So I sympathize with you. I hope you found a better solution.

H4C

• Posted

I'm about to address my fibro problem this week, but talk to your Dr about these responses..the sleep problems could be fixed with lyrica, in my experience- I worship it, and I'm pressuming you drink plenty of water each day, and fibre, especially if you are taking pain relief..

I don't hesitate these days, I have a problem I might ring rheumatologist rooms and have him ring me back when he can. Hope this helps you a bit...

• Posted

The dr just put me on lyrica last week. I was concerned of weight gain as well

But I'm dealing with the spacey effects I understand that will go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.