Anyone else pass on a biopsy, even if MRI shows lesions?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Terry, I tend to lean your way, I just had two lesions show up on a T3 MRI, I was clear on the same test 3 yrs ago.  So now I must decide on whether to have a biopsy or just do active surveillance with maybe followup mri,  I have requested the mri's because I have low platelets and am concerned about bleeding. So do I wait and see if these lesions grow or have the biopsy to see if they are aggressive. I will have to see what the docs recommend, I feel sure they will want to biopsy but I am going to ask if we can wait a bit to see if they grow. In the meantime I wlll switch to almond milk  and walnuts. Below is the condensed mri report:   whether to have a prostate biopsy & maybe treatmt after that, as of Sept 2017, I am almost 66. A T3 MRI just discovered Lesion 1: In the posterior right mid gland peripheral zone a small

T2 hypointense lesion measuring 0.6 x 0.3 x 0.6 cm

with a volume of 0.09 mL, with noncontributory perfusion kinetics.

Lesion 2: In the anterior right anterior apex there is a small T2

hypointense lesion measuring 0.5 x 0.4 x 0.6 cm with

a volume of 0.08 mL, with mildly suspicious perfusion kinetics. Two small lesions in the right mid gland peripheral zone and right apical

central gland, each with volume of less than 0.1 mL, are suspicious for

malignancy; PI-RADS 4.

I am otherwise in good health in a 6 yr remission for a mild leukemia, hairy cell leukemia, I am retired.

Any others posters comments welcome!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Joe

I understand that there is a higher resolution MRI scan available that could be helpful if you want to delay having a biopsy now.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Joe

I understand that there is a higher resolution MRI scan available that could be helpful if you want to delay having a biopsy now.

All the best. Richard

• Posted

Hi guys, my husband had an MRI. When he had his first biopsy surgeon said nothung on MRI. Went for results told low grade in lower left lobe of prostate would probably be surveillance but main surgeon had upgraded his MRI and we had to see him at another hospital. Saw him had a targetted biopsy. Found more cancer in top of left lobe was upgraded from T2 to T2b. His gleason remained at 3+4. Had prostate removed. Cancer was in the whole prostate and was T3. This was all in the timescale of 9 months from diagnosis to removal. So whilst I understand you not wanting biopsies. As far as I am concerned they saved him from it spreading outside of prostate and needing further treatment. Good luck
    • Posted

I was concerned about the possible risk of infection and looked for where I could get one done that did not mean doing it via the rectum but no joy so just had it done. It was a bit uncomfortable but was soon done.

It was a relief to know where I stood and to be able to move forward with the treatment.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

yes well said.  Also in my case I had biopsy 2 months into initial increase of PSA-8.0.  Biopsy 4/3-7 Gleason with intermediate aggressive cells.  2 months later had RARP and though cancer remained within the gland some margins were not totally cleared.  I am now 5 months post op and on probable path to salvage radiation therapy (EBRT).  In scan/test process (next week) .

My suggestion don't wait on biopsy.  It was really not a bad experience.  Infection is always a risk but minimal compared to waiting.

Richard98806

• Posted

I have had the 3x strength MRI scan and my Doctors advised that it still was not a good enough result to be conclusive. Currently I am due for another biopsy as have been on active surveillance for 5 years now, but very wary as had Sepsis with last biopsy.
  • Posted

Who's Terry? I can't find what you are responding to. Have you inadvertently started a new post rather than replying to Terry's original question?

• Posted

I had biopsy, good job I did only biopsy will tell you speed of growth.

My story I had no symptoms but my scuba buddy got pros- cancer so being 66 years old in 2015 I had psa check.psa 14 .8 . So

19-10-15. Urologist DRG

22-10-15 MRI

30-10-15 full body nuclear bone

Scan

10-11-15 prostatic biopsy

I only felt 2 of the 12 samples 

Did not hurt at all had two tablets  1 hour before biopsy.

2 ciprofloxacin & 1 metronidazole.

1-12-15 result T2 Gleason 8

11-12-15 given choice .cemo radio therapy or prostactomy

Decided open radical prostactomy,as my dad got pros cancer at 80 then died with bowl cancer.

2-2-16 pre opp . MRSA  VTE

5-2-16pre opp 

9-2-16 open radical prostactomy

Cut below belly button down about 6 inches

Had opp at high field Rochdale

On NHS

They manage your pain very well

In tues morn out fri dinner time

Came out with staples

Out come of lab report on slicing

Timor 

Bi- lateral 4+5=gleason9

T2C  N-O.   M- O

Margains clear

From 14.8psa . My 3 month psa checks all the same 0.050

My next one will be my first 6 month check in Nov .

I wore uridom with leg bag 3 months. Then long car journey

Now almost go without the thinnest pads.

Overall my story is a fantastic  success. I was back scuba diving within 12 months which I love

So thanks to the best surgeon in the world

MR N.K.SHARMA ??

So yes I think you should have biopsy

• Posted

Good luck with your decision

Hope all goes well

• Posted

Buy the way Joe I have ankylosing spondylitis I take sulfazalzine to stop my white cells ataking my body so my immune system is already down also ihave thrombilitise in my right leg .so during and after opp 4days had my leg in a vacuum bag every 30 seconds full pressure then slow release. After seeing my dad die of bowel cancer I did everything possible

To get rid of my prostate cancer

Best wishes vin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.