Anyone else struggling with their thyroxine?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey..

I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid 5 months ago and was put on 50mcg on thyroxine, then put up to 100mcg and they where just the right dose however I experienced the worse heart palpating, hot sweats, starving hungry all the time and other symptoms, however after a couple of months this all changed and tipped me over to over active so they put me on 50mcg and then to try reduce back down I am now currently on 25mcg!

Even though this is a much lower dose than originally on I am soooo hungry all the time and if I don't eat I feel so shaky and am currently on weight watchers but finding it so hard as so hungry and feel the weight takes longer to come off now on medication!

My skin is so itchy all the time and worse due around the time of my period.

Sometimes I feel I really struggle and VERY emotional.. is anyone else feeling like this? Never posted on anything like this before but finding it tough.

Thank you for reading

x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Speaking as a male, 50, it sounds like you are experiencing side effects which are typical to many.  It does vary from person to person, however, so it is hard to compare very much with other people, save the basic side effects.  You can be emotional, tired, etc etc etc.  You need to keep telling your doctor, even maybe speak to your pharmacist.  It could take a long time for your body to adjust to what is now being done to it with the thyroxine.  However, do not be tempted to self medicate. 
  • Posted

It is inevitable that when you are hypoactive you will get other allergies or suddenly become very intolerant to certain things.  All my life I have been very intolerant to maize starch/cornflour and other products made from maize, I informed my GP but I still got maize ridden tablets for illnesses.  Now I won't take anytnig unless I am positive it has no maize in it, a sad state of affairs when the GP keeps wanting to prescribe stuff that I consider I don't really need.
  • Posted

I have been on thyroxine for soo long now.  This is the first time I have heard of feeling hungry all the time and getting the shakes if you don't eat.  This is one of the many things that happens to me  I am glad that I finally have a reason for this other than it could be stress!!!  I am sooo tired all the time the Drs just say your thyroid is at the right levels!  When I ask why I am so tired they just shrug their shoulders......so very frustrating.  I finally got around to reading the info label in the pack....one of the side affects of the medication is being sluggish....Sluggish...I sleep most of the day!  I changed my Dr and did a Reverse T3 test and I was low with this so now I am also on T3 meds s well as the thyroxine....I am glad to see others are also foggy...I thought I was going mad or having too many "seniors moments"
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. 

I never realised how much the medication would affect me in so many ways when I was first diagnosed.. 

Oh bless you are definitely not alone, these tablets whatever dose are so strong they mess with your thinking and emotions!

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.