Anyone else suffer with this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, i hope you are all well. I will keep it as short as possible but i'm looking to see if anyone has permanent damage from reflux, particularly a (constant) wheeze. I have a 4cm Hiatus Hernia, diagnosed over a year ago, have been on Lansoprazole daiy since and they have been great as in they have completely stopped the acid rushing up the throat. The acid was real bad before that and for the last i'd say 18 months (the acid started before that) i have developed a wheeze, nothing majorly obvious but its when i exhale i can hear the whistle. DR says lungs sound clear and 3x chest x rays have been clear so could well be coming from the throat i guess, i have an appointment and i believe a camera through the nose and to look at the larynx etc this coming thursday but its always nice to hear from other people who suffer with the same thing. I do have discomfort around the bottom of the throat when i cough and laugh etc and my voice seems to croak at certain volumes and tones. I'd like to point out the wheeze does not come and go and never has, it is a 24/7 thing and has been since it first started happening. I am not short of breath and was above the normal level with a test for asthma with a nurse. As i say, this must be some kind of permanent damage or perhaps it could even be symptoms of LPR and i'm not looking after myself properly. I am a 32yr old male. Many thanks for any replies

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also hear a wheezy whistling sound on my exhale that doc doesn't hear in lungs. I'm interested to know your results.

• Posted

Sounds like your PPI’s aren’t keeping the acid back anymore - I’m in the same boat .. I have a very loose esophigal sphincter and I’m having the surgery to fix it 13th March .. I used the manage fine on PPI’s but recently I’ve had HORRIBLE bouts of heart burn, reflux and then gastritis. I would talk to your GP about having your hernia repaired and see what they say? I’m 31 so I feel your pain at a young age it’s sucks :-( 
  • Posted

I have hiatus hernia and inflammation of the oesophagus, since August 2017, same problem, not a constant wheeze but voice is horse and uncomfortable talking, breathless exhaling and laughing, also affected by air conditioning, sprays, cigarette smoke, feeling of lump in throat and sometimes swallowing doesn't feel right, I think it's all part of the condition but quite scary, so it's comforting to hear other people have some of the same problem

• Posted

Thank's for your replies. I will let you know Michelle, i have had the whistling on exhale for quite some time now, very odd

• Posted

I have L P R and get a set cough but not all the time. My Dr says u can get asmtha have they tested your peak flow? Maybe worth mentioning this to your G.P good luck.
    • Posted

Hi yes they tested me for asthma, i was above average in the peak flow test. ENT says my throat is fine so what this constant wheeze is i've had for over a year i do not know but i'll be going back to the GP today

• Posted

Hi yes they tested me for asthma, i was above average in the peak flow test. ENT says my throat is fine so what this constant wheeze is i've had for over a year i do not know but i'll be going back to the GP today

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.