Anyone else think that pills only mask the symptoms, they don't get to the cause?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having in the past been on beta blockers to calm me and slow down my heart rate, I think sometimes doctors are too quick to dish out pills. Pills only mask the problems, they don't actually get to the root of the problem. Obviously sometimes medicine is needed, but I think unfortunately sometimes people come to rely on them. This isn't healthy. Natural therapy should be more available. Talking therapy etc.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lanie,

I agree with you that probably most pills do mask the problem, but I am a firm believer in, if they make you feel better, yes please, I will have them! I was prescribed Fluoxetine a couple of weeks ago by a new surgery that I had to go to (my doctor of 38yrs sadly moved too far away for me to continue seeing her). She was a brilliant doctor and would sit and listen to you for ages about how you were feeling. More often than not, I would come away feeling so much better (without any pills). So yes, it certainly does help to have someone who is on the outside to listen. I do have a phone number of a place called Talking Therapy if you are interested? They cover quite a large area depending where you are. There is quite a wait for appointments as I am waiting myself. By the way, I was in a very dark place a couple of months ago and the Fluoxetine seem to have lifted my mood immensely. They have made me think a lot more clearly and have actually given me some energy (my bungalow hasn't been this clean for a while). 

Regards

Christine x

• Posted

Don't get me wrong I can appreciate the fact that pills can make you feel better, however it's a false sense of security. Plus there are side effects to many medications. I was on beta blockers for several years, and one and yes only minor side effect was I had cold hands all the time. I just think that maybe for some people rather than offering medications, maybe there are better alternative ways to address the problems x
  • Posted

It is true that medication masks problems rather than getting to the route of the cause BUT... Often we need a little extra help to get the stage where we can actually start to deal with the underlying causes, especially if anxiety or depression has got to the stage where it is severe/all consuming! I think a combination of things is usually the best way to go, but everybody's different and there will always be some people who's route cause of anxiety just can't be fixed. Waiting lists for talking therapies can be long but in my experience it has always been offered and availiable as an alternative or in combination with medication
    • Posted

My only worry is some people can become too dependable upon the medications they receive x
  • Posted

I agree. I've been suffering from anxiety for 6 months and have recently began CBT!

I realise that people want a "quick fix" to make them feel normal again but as a qualified dementia carer I'm well aware of the effects of Benzo's and anti depressants.....yes, they work while you're under their influence but when you try to come off then you're left with the problem you started with as well as the difficulty of withdrawal! I don't agree with meds at all!

Anxiety is essentially a thought process. That's what needs to be addressed!

• Posted

I think that there are a vast number of people who visit their GP who would be quite offended if they were sent away without a prescription. As for masking problems, in some cases I believe you are right but they should be given in the short term rather than the long term. However there are instances where anti-depressants have to be taken in the long term such as for Bipolar Disorder and other forms of depression. As for talking therapy, you can request this from your GP, the only problem being, as with lots of other things - the waiting list.

As for masking the cause of the problem...only you know what the real problem is, however much info you give your GP. It's up to you to fight your demons however small or large they may be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.