Anyone else with frozen shoulder experiencing constant pain constant pain down the affected arm ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Whilst I have had a steroid injection which has helped some of the acute capsular shoulder pain, I am struggling with the constant background pain down my arm that oral pain relief only giving me short term relief . Night pain as we all know worse . However some nights I do not know where to put myself to try and get relief or sleep ..

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am having exactly the same problem

Had steroid injection in September

Some relief followed but just recently pain has increased again and I’m so worried that I’ve done something to cause a problem that will prevent total recovery

The orthopod said I should give it 4 months and return for a reassessment if no improvement

It is a horrible condition and the longer it goes on, the more irritable and tired I am 

Wish I could be sure that one day it will be back to normal

Also there seems to be a difference in alignment between my shoulders when I look in the mirror

Sorry I can’t offer any encouragement but at least you are not alone

• Posted

Panda62

You mean the horrible bone/bicep pain that you can’t even describe where it’s coming from, that goes down the arm, to the hand, takes your breath way and makes you cringe… and makes your hand tingle or numb?  Yup… know that all too well.  The best explanation I’ve got is it’s from inflammation in the shoulder pushing on nerves.  Makes sense. 

Kay14145

You probably didn’t do anything, I’ve thought the same thing…

My shoulder that is frozen is larger, sits taller, and pulls up on my shoulder blade.  It all connects… so your shoulder will be out of wack.  How long have you been freezing?  It may just be hitting another freezing spurt.  Mine did that : (  I had an Injection in August, did nothing, and MUA 16 days ago… it’s horribly painful, more so than just having frozen shoulder, but I do have some movement back. 

I do know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, a very looooooong tunnel… My sister had it 3 years ago… and she’s almost normal.

• Posted

Thanks Jmiller

It helps to hear other experiences

My FS developed after an injury so I’m always convinced something is displaced

I must stop worrying and just be patient 

This forum is very helpful

• Posted

Hard to be patient Kay though isn’t it. As it’s so horrid 
    • Posted

it does help!!  mine started with a tendon issue... so I'm always thinking I tore that tendon stretching. 

• Posted

Yes.  My wrist killed me.  Ice was best thing for me but honestly nothing that helped was time.  
    • Posted

Thanks Bobbie for that advice , I am trying a tens machine this evening . Seems to be giving a bit of relief / distraction from pain x
  • Posted

Panda62,

I have been suffering from Frozen Shoulder since April 2017. The best relief that I had was from having a Manipulation under Anaesthesia (MUA). I like you was having a lot of pain in the shoulder capsular and down my arm. Also, any movement would cause extreme pain and sleeping was troublesome. I had three straight months of pt and 2 steroid injections with little improvement.  I went against my Dr. advice and had the MUA on Nov. 13th. Not only did it help to restore almost all my range of motion it drastically improved my pain. I am still having some lingering pain but it is certainly tolerable. I am still using a thin pillow at my side to lay my arm on and to support my shoulder. That prevents my shoulder and arm from dropping down to lay on the bed or be bent across my body while lying on my back. If you haven't tried that it might help. 

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story gives me some hope ... continued recovery Cheryl xx
    • Posted

Mine was in April too, and my MUA was Nov 14th.  just a day after yours.  I still can't sleep in a bed, still in my recliner.  but you are correct, the pain is better in the day since the MUA.  I can't do any stretches without pain meds, are you still taking any? 

I do have 80% horizontal motion back, but my external / internal motion went right back to maybe 30%... can't reach past my butt cheek.  But over all it is better. 

• Posted

Happened to me too. I went to a chiropractor who does pressure point release that really helps. I am in a support group on Facebook which is more active than this group.

• Posted

Bengay extra strength, unscented was the only thing got me through sleep and able to go to work daily. Ppl use ice mineral, I suppose any cooling ointment, hope this helps you in some ways...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.