Anyone else with the Acid Reflux-Allergic Rhinitis-Allergy Asthma & Urticaria/Hives Problem?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Symptoms

- GERD (acid reflux disease) - even on Esomeprazole, GERD would rise if I didn't have an antihistamine for 3 days+

- Nose running virtually uncontrollably if I don't have an antihistamine once every two days (triggered more aggressively in the winter seasons). 

- Itching and allergy eczema - even my oesophagus feels itchy if I don't have an antihistamine often. I get itchy after 2 days. 

- Allergy Asthma 

- Urticaria Dermographism - constant - has reduced in intensity but I'm still dependent on antihistamine. 

Background: 

I started to have major allergy issues after staying on a friends dusty bed for 4 days a couple of years ago.

I always had acid reflux problems since I was 19, it came and went and once I was on a PPI for 2 weeks.

In mid 2016, I had GERD problems, I was told I had a hiatus hernia (later discovered to be a false diagnosis as confirmed by a recent endoscopy) -  was given 40mg Esomeprazole since then. I slowly stopped taking it in preparation for this endoscopy. Now I don't want to get back on it. 

What is the solution?! I'm unsure right now if it's Eosinophillic Esophagitis (EE) because I haven't had my biopsy results yet. 

Interestingly enough, H2 Blockers i.e Ranitidine is prescribed for both reflux AND hives! There's some weird connection there. PPI's like Esomeprazole has shown to be effective in calming EE in many patients. 

But can we gather minds to detail a remedy that doesn't require steroids? That seems a bit too drastic. Let's put aside the fears about our health, if you have the same symptoms please try not to use emotional/worried language as it could get distressing for people reading. 

I'm going for allergy testing. I hope to get immunotherapy to deal with allergies head on. With immunotherapy, I feel like I will get treated in the right way where it doesn't feel like I'm just putting a 'band-aid' on it. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

just to let u know that allergy shot which I am taking do take sometime to kick in. each person is different. like I said I am taking them and as of yet felt i have not found any consistent relief
    • Posted

I am personally perceiving allergy shots to be a long term plan aka years. It's best to get started ASAP in this case, it can only make overall symptoms a lot better. I haven't researched whether it is effectively a cure but I'd take 80% success. 

One major thing I realised: If you feel itchy, don't itch. By abstaining from itching, your body weirdly calms its allergic response a bit. A few cheeky itches at the start you can get away with. 

• Posted

yes I am about 2 1/2 years into my allergy I just recently gotten to the maintenance phrase so I will see what happens 
  • Posted

I'm on Lansoprazole 15mg for the GERD and 180mg Fexofenadine for the allergic rhintis and urticaria.  The Fexofenadine works very well and is non-drowsy, have been taking this for 7-8 years.

• Posted

Thanks for the response.

Is it still just as effective as it was in the first year you started taking Fexofenadine?

Does it eliminate allergic rhinitis and urticaria for you? To what degree would you say it helps?

How is 15mg Lanzoprazole treating you?

I am currently not taking a PPI and have GERD that is managed but not eliminated, I don't want to risk getting Barrett's in the long term so I'm going to get sent for a pH mamometry so I can potentially supplement myself with Apple Cider Vinegar. 

• Posted

Yes the Fexofenadine is excellent in reducing the rhinitis and the urticaria.  The Lansoprazole is good too though I also take Prelief for another condition that also helps.  I tried Apple cider vinegar for a year or so but it didn’t really help.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I think I will get myself a prescription of Fexofenadine. 

Did you try having things like Betaine HCL with Pepsin? That's apparently a bit stronger, and the ACV isn't necessarily a cure I don't think but apparently helps if you have it before each meal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.