Anyone ever get shingles on surgerized knee?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had fractured tibular plateau repaired with plate and 9 screws. After three months I was walking with cane, 110 degrees, and regaining strength.

THEN I came down with a severe case of SHINGLES from below the knee up to the hip. Blisters weren't bad and I got started on anti-virals.

For two months the pain has been excruiating. I'm taking Gralise but the pain just above the knee is not getting better. Xrays are good according to surgeon.

I've lost all muscle in upper thigh because I can"t exercise.

Anyone have shingles on post-op knee?

Thanks for replies.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The residual nerve pain from shingles can be helped with prescription strength lidocain patches.  
  • Posted

You must be unbelievably miserable.......I just can't fathom the discomfort. Hope you rec some help soon.

• Posted

I had TKR in Jan 2014 then about 2 months later I broke out in this AWFUL blistering rash on the back of my left leg ( thigh ) very painful, I couldn't stand to touch that area , even my clothes hurt, so I went to the Dr. he said it was Shingles, gave me some meds and it seemed to help. well it took almost 2 months for it to go away, and then the followling year it came back, in the same exact spot, so I went to Dr again and this time he told me it wasn't likely that it was the Shingles, but instead it was a form of the Herpes Virus, like a cold sore, NOT the Genital Herpes. and that there was nothing I could take for it. so I just had to suffer, well I had it flare up again last month, but I'm thinking the first time was after TKR surgery , I was stressed, and then the second time I don't know why I got them, but last month it came back but again I was stressed I had a Total Hystorectomy.

Good Luck to you

• Posted

So I guess the prognosis for a Type A who has had a significant shingles experience with lots of normal life stresses is not good. No preventive measures; no reliable treatments.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.