Anyone ever had potassium deficiency?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Have been struggling with this for some time it's truely awful affecting heart muscles n extreme weakness n pain. All my bloods were falsely elevated which meant it went untreated 4 so long and I'm still battling it.

Iv had an awful ordeal between bad gastritis n an undiagnosed stomach infection I lost a lot of weight was really I'll n hense lost all my potassium n was treated very bad medically.

1 like, 4 replies

Report

4 Replies

  • Posted

    I feel for you. Did not know potassium deficiency could do this. I know bananas and avocadoes are high in potassium, though can be fattening in excess! By the way, if you do not mind me asking, how did you find out your bloods were falsely elevated?
    Report
    • Posted

      Well I'd been having symptoms for weeks as it was dropping lower and lower. I got all my bloods back from hospital n could see it dropping each time. At a level of 3.4 I nearly had a heart attack, even though this is only one point below the 'normal' range which is 3.5-5.0. Most people need to be at least 4. I was 4.5 before I got sick. They gave me 5 potassium pills in emergency department n the levels went up to 4.2/4.4 which is impossible after only 5 pills you'd need months of supplementation to bring it back up to that. It's very hard to build back up well it's like any deficiency it takes time to build back up. I was having severe symptoms like lbp heart palps excessive thirst weakness n bloods were showing high levels of k which is simply impossible after no supplementation. I'd all symptoms just bloods didnt match. Eventually after one month of severe suffering my bloods came back down to 3.4 in which no one even bothered to take note of it was then I knew it's k n started drinking lots of coco water n symptoms resolved but it was very hard to do with diet alone. My body was starved of potassium n no1 even believed me as the bloods were wrong but I'd every single symptom you could even see me dehydrating n thirsty lbp etc..it was awful. So they had to be falsely elevated. Also 2days after this 3.4 reading (which I got later when I rang) I was fainting with lbp n had no choice but to go bk to hospital n the reading that day was hemotosed meaning inaccurate due to shaking n read 4.2 that's impossible to be 3.4 one day n 4.2 the next. I kept asking doctor is something wrong with electytes she kept saying no n never even bothered to repeat the test even though it was hemp stupid or what like that's why lab puts it on there as it's incorrect. Potassium is particularly susceptible to this n despite the fact I was drinking 4 litre of water per day which is obviously abnormal. Had they have retested they would have seen it or matched my symptoms...they treated me like I was mad!!

      It was awful. Iv to go back to doctor this week 4 more supplements n I'm having awful tummy probs so couldn't even take supplement s 4 ages as they hard on stomach. It's all so tough if I ever get better n over it I'll be writing in a big complaint to hospital n doing blog on it.

      Also things like acidosis can falsely elevated potassium levels when in fact there is none in overall storage. Only 2% of k is in blood the other 98% is in the cells so bloods can be inaccurate. There is an intracellular blood test or rbc whole blood which checks overall stores.

      Report
  • Posted

    Very informative. Thank you. Good thing you were very alert. Just goes to show that we should check and query anything we think is not quite right. So many people, I think, just assume everything is perfectly done, forgetting that human mistakes are possible by anyone.
    Report
    • Posted

      They sure are and tests can be wrong they are only tests not God the body is complex n things can put out balance n interfere with accuracy of results. It's sad they believe this over a person.
      Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up