Anyone ever have a sore tongue after eating fruit

Posted , 6 users are following.

i had a bowl of bluberries and yogurt earlier and just noticed that my tongue has a sore area. Naturally my mind starts racing. Just went t the dentist last week formy reglar check up. But rational thinking is not helping thepanic attack that I am having. I know my mouth is drier that usual because of citalopram. Do you think this is just irritation from the fruit?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Actually, yes could well be, AND the yoghurt, it's acidic too,plus, if it's a fruit yoghurt it'll probably have lots of preservatives which has probably irritated your already dry mouth. Are your gums sore or just the tongue ? The tongue would be the first place any acid will attack. Try avoiding a lot of fruit, acidic fruit, obviously you need to get your vitamins, but tomatoes and any juices are going to do the same. It might be an idea to substitute, at least for a while with multivits and some soluble fibre and see if you notice an improvement. ??
  • Posted

Oh my ..... that's my favourite, blueberries and natural yoghurt.  Nomnomnom :-)  Yes I sometimes get a sore tongue if I eat too much fruit, or certain types if fruit.

K xx

• Posted

Thanks! I never had it happen with Blueberries before but the are very acidic so it makes sense. Thanks again!
  • Posted

Hi Kathy.  Dry mouth is common on citalopram and without the normal levels of saliva to wash away the acid from the fruit, that could be some of the cause.  The visit to the dentist will have checked you have nothing wrong in your mouth, so you can relax on that issue - they will have spotted anything serious and didnt, so there isnt.  Also, iff they did any cleaning of the teeth, that can sometimes leave you subconsciously rubbing your teeth with your tongue more than usual, it'll pass.  Avoid any mouthwash with alcohol content, as that dries out the tongue and mouth even more.  If it's really uncomfortable, get some lozenges from the pharmacist that are good for mouth ulcers, they have a slight anaesthetic effect and will ease the discomfort til the tongue heals itself - which it will do very very quickly - wish the whole of our body was as good at repair as the tongue smile
    • Posted

Thank you so much. Your reassurance really helps. I guess I just expected that feeling to go away within hours. It is better today. Just a kind of dry sensation. That is probably my imagination. I am tryng t just get my mind off of it . I did have my teeth cleaned. I made the stupid mistake of googling things that cause a dry tongue. And ofcourse my eyes saw cancer if the tongue and I read nothing else. I have afeeling there was a lot more information that went with tha but my panic reaction set in and I was off to the races. But you are right. The dentist would have seen any problems and I get the velascope cancer screening every year. Just had that 7 months ago. I'm just going through a case of the crazies. 
  • Posted

Kathy Hi

I eat a lot of friut and i have the dry mouth fromCit!!

Apart from being dry my tongue also feels similar to that when you have scolded your mouth and you can feel the small dimples on your tongue which are over sensitised and almost  sore. Ithink what you are experiencing sounds similar and if so is part of the Cit effect.

Remember friut is acidic and yogurt is alkaline so either or both could have an effect on your tongue

I hope this helps!!

• Posted

Thank you! Yes! What you described is exactly how it felt yesterday. Better today but still that kind of dry/ sensitive sensation. I did not know that the citalopram would make yur tongue more sensitive but I guess you only become aware of it when you eat someting that in reases the sensation. Thank you for sharing that you have that too!
    • Posted

hi Dave, did this problem ever resolve? i am experiencing it at the moment after being on citalopram.

• Posted

hello, i know it has been a very long time since this was posted! but did this ever resolve? im experiencing it at the moment. thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.