Anyone experience severe anxiety/depression/crying & dread while on 300mg Gaba?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear Everyone, I having been reading your posts and as far as I can tell, your w/d symptoms from gaba seem physical  or cognitive, while mine are neuro-emotional with the exception of unrelenting constipation and cognitive issues.  By neuro-emotional I mean anxiety/depression/ongoing crying/ fear and dread and often thoughts of suicidal ideation altho I would never act on this so don't worry.

I was prescribed 600mg 4 months ago to help with my anti-depressant w/d which I cold turkyed in mid-June 2017. I could not taper as the drugs turned on me and I had to stop no question.

Because of the extreme cog issues, I dropped to 300mg about 2-3 months ago with no problem. Now it seems the 300mg. of gaba has turned on me. I have tried to taper but the results made my anxiety/depression intolerable.  I know this drug is making me feel worse but I am in such a dark place right now that the thought of more anxiety and depression is impossible. What to do? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Taper slow as possible with Doctors help. My Primary said the lower the dose the more withdrawal effects as I'm tapering off!  Everybody is different so it effects Us different. Sorry Your having such a hard time. Can you take anything for anxiety like xanax while tapering off. There is a video on You tube that shows how to use this while withdrawing. Stay in touch with a good support system. Surround yourself with People and things that might divert your attention. Stay busy. It's hard to do and this is one nasty drug! Mediate and try possible a gratitude list. Just suggestions and hope things start getting better for you!  

• Posted

Elizabeth

As Sherri posted, the lower you go, the more the withdrawal effects. I have had to go back on twice because the lower I got the worse the withdrawal. I have now been back at 300 for 2 months and still experiencing the skin crawling and horrible waves and waves of heat even though on hormone replacement therapy. I read where someone who didn't have hot flashes started them during withdrawal from Gabapentin. Although my symptoms are all physical, I have read many, many posted from people who suffer its symptoms like yourself. It is the worst drug to come off of. Doctors need to be made aware of how horrible it is to withdraw from so they can give their patients more information BEFORE they star! If I ever get so the withdrawal symptoms get better, I am going to come off the drug MUCH more slowly. There is a liquid form of the drug so smaller withdrawal doses are possible. Hope you get some relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.