Anyone experienced anything similar?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I was diagnosed with optic neuritis last June, and was experiencing a multitude of neurological problems. Had clear MRI, normal visual evoked potentials, a positive ANA. I was diagnosed with Functional neurological disorder. Since then I have received an intensive care package, and attended an endless amount of medical appts. However I've continued to deteriorate rapidly. I experience extreme shooting pains down my spine, tightening round my ribs, pins and needles, burning sensations, chronic migraine, myoclonic jerks, cognitive problems, bladder problems, im now wheel chair bound, house bound... the list goes on. I simple exist. I'm 26. I follow a strict immune protocol diet, and try a multitude of holiistic and natural remedies. We've been reassured we are doing everything we can to help- yet I KEEP deteriorating. My question to you- is it possible they missed something? My concern is they fobbed me off with "FND" because I had split up with a partner around the same time (which I cannot reiterate enough there is absolutely nothing psychologically wrong there).Two things that have never been mentioned since- the positive ANA, and optic neuritis (neurologist has never addressed or spoken about these again) should I seek a second opinion? Lost & scared, thanks in advance x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi . forgetmenot . do you mind if i ask you that medication your on. because this matters but i will say that the health package will help you . i wish you well and hope you get well soon .
  • Posted

I was told that I had optic Neuritis in one eye about three years ago when I suddenly had a sight problem looking at things in mid distance. It settled on its own and I was told that it could have been the result of a sudden change in BP or blood glucose during the night.

Permanent damage to the optic nerve occurs in about 85 per cent of cases, but the damage does not always cause serious vision problems. In many cases, optic neuritis is short-lived and resolves by itself without treatment in around four to 12 weeks. The person's vision improves once the inflammation subsides.

• Posted

I expect that you have had nerve conduction tests and genetic testing looking for hereditary diseases like CMT.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.