Anyone experienced constipation from having hemorrhoids (whether external or internal hemorrhoids)?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone experienced constipation from having hemorrhoids (whether external or internal hemorrhoids)?

Or, has anyone experienced bowel incontinence AND constipation following a hemorrhoidectomy?

My father had bowel incontinence, to a certain extent, prior to having a hemorrhoidectomy back in mid-November, 2019. He had a couple of external, thrombosed (very large and painful) hemorrhoids removed and is still in recovery mode.

My father never had issues with bowel movements, ever. He also NEVER had to worry about incorporating more fibre into his diet in order to pass or have a bowel movement. However, prior to having his hemorrhoids removed, and to date, he has had to increase the fibre in his diet and is EITHER not able to go to the bathroom at all, or experiences bowel incontinence.

We thought having the hemorrhoidectomy would help get his passing of bowel movements back on track, but nothing has changed. Therefore, he goes from one extreme to the other.

He did NOT take any pain medication following the hemorrhoidectomy in order to avoid issues with constipation.

Has anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The more fibers means more water, a normal human being needs to eat 30g of fiber each day and that's it, if he eats more then that he should drink more water. He should drink each day 2.5 - 3 litters of water. He can add lax powder each morning the give each stool softness. Cut the white bread only fruits vegetables and oats for beginning. After few days he can add more food, you can try the mineral oil, it also should help

• Posted

I didn't experience constipation until I started drinking a fiber/water drink in the mornings. Once I started on the fiber I became constipated because, I later found out, you have to drink a ton of water throughout the day to prevent it. I was drinking a lot (for me) of water but I stopped the fiber powder after 2 days and I was no longer constipated. Stool softeners worked well for me for the amount of water I was drinking.

• Posted

I started getting constipated about 3 maybe 4 years ago I believe due to another surgery and it has snowballed from there. I now have a fissure and internal and external hemorrhoids. they become so bad that there will be a period of up to 2 weeks with no bowel movements and I am on prescription Linzesse and it cannot even get past them while they are enlarged.

• Posted

i suffered with both also. mainly my own fault though as i was scared of going to the toilet i tried a liquid diet, didnt help at all so i increased my fibre intake and healthier options etc but went from one extreme from the other. 4 weeks of torture but eventually started getting better and back to normal when i started eating as i had before the surgery. each person is individual and heals/recovers at different speeds. i am 34 and had the surgery 3 times each have been different even though it was the same surgery. time is the best healer. persevere things will improve. very best wishes gemma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.