Anyone experienced panic attacks/ depression after e/d

Posted , 2 users are following.

Iv recently been experiencing some depression & panic attacks. Iv had bulimia for 3 years but Iv stopped & since had panic attacks. Anyone else experienced this? Any help is much appreciated smile

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirsty - that's great to hear that you are making steps towards recovery.

Remember to be kind to yourself.

Sometimes I find when I don't eat as regularly, or I eat fewer carbs, I find my depression increases or my anxiety is worse. It might be worth revisiting any food diaries you have kept and seeing if a pattern emerges.

Sometimes, time of the month can also play a factor.

Also remember that you have had to work really hard even to get to this point.

Try and focus on all the reasons you have for wanting to recover, as this will also help. Can you do something which you enjoy, such as watch a film, or go for a walk?

Improve the moment smile

Hope this helps.

Kat

• Posted

Thanks for your comment Kat ☺️ Iv read that bulimia & eating disorders in general affect electricity in the brain I hope I haven't done permanent damage 😔 I'm on citalopram which is making me very twitchy. Hopefully it works xx
    • Posted

Hi Kirsty - no problem.

I wouldn't try and read too much into it, as there is a lot out there, and very little "actual" proven evidence given how little we really know about our brains. Yes, in theory there could be a causal link between eating disorders and seizures or eating disorders and other vulnerabilities, but because neuroscience is such a new field, there are a lot of hypothesises and random thought from jo bloggs that it can be very easy to catasrophise about one little segment you may have read.

It's interesting you noted about the medication - medication often has many side effects, nervousness and increased anxiety/mood swings being very common. I would say that that is much more likely than permanent damage caused from your eating disorder. smile

What I would suggest, if you are anxious about your meds causing anxiety, is to maybe speak to your doctor and talk through this, and see if there is anything you can do about this.

It may be that he/she can recommend some form of additional support whilst your body is still adjusting.

Remember to take note of all the skills you have learned during recovery too. Such as DBT or CBT or both. These will help you.

• Posted

Thank you for your lovely advice. Iv been on citalopram before & it worked to some degree. But I came off it as it made me less anxious but more depressed but I had no start up side effects. It feels different this time around. Many thanks again Kat 🙂 X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.