Anyone experienced problems coming off Flecanide

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm wondering if anyone has had problems coming off Flecanide and if so what symptoms.    I've had ablation and been on them post op for 2 months. Now reducing slowly but seem to have be less well overall  ie even more cold, itchy and when I bent my head was very wobbly and it seems to have thrown me completly out of kilter.    Just wondered what experiences others had and if it settled for them or they needed to stay on then etc. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

  • Posted

    I had no problems like yours in coming off Flecainide. But w/o it i have tachycardia. I would have stayed on it but it seems to cause long term problems: long QT and damage to liver. I also have damage to kidneys and flec may have contributed to that as well. So you are lucky if u can come off it. Trouble is, there doesnt seem to be an alternative that carries no long term issues... i hope you can come off it permanently. Take care of your heart while it is recovering: make it stronger by walking briskly for 30-44 minutes each day and dont risk drinking alcohol and coffee. I am studying ECGs at the moment and you can see the toxic effects esp. Of alcohol on ECGs ...too dangerous to risk messing up your ablation !
    • Posted

      Many thanks for your reply - very helpful.   Strangely I was given Flecanide although my liver is not great and has worsened on Flecanide. Fatty Liver problems long term situation.   I have not drunk alcohol for about 20 years and don't drink coffee something else I was better not having.    I hope it works out that I can come off it  - fingers crossed.     I do small walks each day which help but a brisk walk is alas not possible  as I am so weak.     

  • Posted

    I too had an ablation done last july 2016...I have AFib pretty bad....I was given flecainide to take for 3 months after the procedure. 2x a day 100mgs morn and nite. after the 3 months was up, Dr said to reduce it to 1x a day then off it............well it wasnt maybe 2wks later my AFib came back maybe a day here or there then became everyday....Dr suggested to try the pill in the pocket... meaning, when the AFib came on to take my cardizem 1st, then about 30 minutes later take the i did that, then after about hr. it all calmed i could do that each time i felt the AFib come on.....OR go back to taking it everyday.....and due to the AFib coming on everyday, i decided to go back on it 2x a day again everyday and have been doing that for almost a yr now....SO, the question for me was, if the ablation worked....after going off the meds, i shouldnt have had anymore issues......OR  was it the fact that i was on the flec for 3 months, and then stopped it...and then AFib came guess is, the procedure didnt work....i dont have any side effects per say...maybe i should get my liver cked if it can cause issues with that......Lately tho, i feel slight AFib, nothing like it was, but enough for me to know its not im meeting with my Dr tomorrow get another ekg as with each visit, watch, itll show nothing....hahaha.....shouldnt be taking anymore then 300 or less in dosage a day.. im at 200 a day.....if i split the small 100mg tab in half thats 50, if i split that in half its 25..maybe thatll be enough....or just take 150 in morning then usual 100 at nite.....i dont know.......this is when i could curse the BIG PHARMA... its like you take meds, and then you always wind up needing more and more cause your body builds up tolerances.....then you stop it, and it all comes back, whatever it is........


    • Posted

      Oh dear yours was not a success however I ponder how quickly you weaned off the tablets and if wonder if doing it slower  (you may have done it slowly) it that would  have helped.    I was on 150mg a day   - 75 morning and 75 evening.    I cut down to 100 for 2 week   (50x 2) and then 50 for 2 weeks  (25 x 2)     My body didn't like it.  When finished  - 2 weeks later  I had AF  Erratic rate which did settle after POP and 4 hours.       Now everyday I get kicks and flicks and it feels like it will happen any time.   Like living on the edge!    Not that I worry about it when it happens but I can tell it wants to go.     I went through a tough few weeks and then about 2 weeks ago also stopped the blood thinner and although again ..a few days of mayhem I do now feel a little better ............ well for more days in a row than normal.       So I hope everything behaves itself.      It seems odd doesnt it to have an op and still take it for 2/3 months and then expect our body to like the fact its gone!        I hope to stick to the POP game and not go back on tablets. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.