Anyone experienced severe anxiety/depression taking Clarithromycin?

Posted , 51 users are following.

I take Citalopram for anxiety/depression. This year I have had 2 chest infections that needed treating and was given Clarithromycin, 500mg twice a day. The latest chest infection was recently and I stopped taking the antibiotics 5 days ago. I have had some awful symptoms that I don't know what has caused. Shaking, increased anxiety and depression, loss of appetite, twitching muscles and weakness in legs. Balance problems. Heart Palpitations. Now I am having difficulty walking and it is really scaring me. I seem to remember having these side effects when I took these before but not so severe.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had a reaction like this and how long was it before you felt better.

1 like, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I took 2 of these tablets 5 days ago. After the first one I felt a bit better after weeks of tonsillitis and penicillin not having worked. I took one again in the evening. After an hour or so I started to feel very odd. I felt scared, extremely anxious and starting shaking/shivering uncontrollably. Later that evening I rang for an ambulance. The paramedics checked my obs which were all fine. I think the outcome was a panic attack which I felt very embarrassed about. I had since read the leaflet of side effects from clarithromycin. I couldn't believe what I was reading and how extreme it could be. I was a bit concerned but it did say these were rare and I didn't think it likely that I would be affected in this way. After having the paramedics out I did some research online about other experiences and found very similar reactions. The next morning I decided to stop taking this drug (also under medical advice). I vowed to never go near it again just after this one experience. This was only the beginning. Over the next few days things got worse and worse. I have had extreme/acute anxiety, trembling, shaking and shivering. I have never over abused the health services but I have been phoning 111 multiple times daily, going to A&E on two separate occasions, the first time talking to a psychiatric team. My record doesn't look good but its clear I have been very very distressed. My anxiety has been so extreme I haven't been able to look after my two year old and luckily my family have helped with this. I have lost a lot of weight as I have hardly eaten a thing, Im still having delusional feelings and thoughts at night, hearing voices when I try to sleep. My doctor has now put me on diazepam and sleeping tablets but it is hasn't totally taken the edge off. The experiences I have read on here and other sources are similar but possibly not as extreme as Im taking it, however I have read about a few instances of psychosis seemingly caused by the drug. 

Today I have actually had breakfast which is a massive breakthrough and I haven't paced up and down looking out windows as I been doing but I don't know if thats the sleeping tablets and diazepam masking it a bit. I am desperately hopeful that this will start to ease but I think it will be a slow process.

I have a history of mental health (anxiety and depression) although I have read others with this experience having no previous issues. I would say my previous was fairly mild and I have never experienced something like this in my life. I have phoned people saying I think I need to be taken away and hospitalised.

So, I do hope this is a breakthrough, having had breakfast and being able to write all this. My mission here is try and get any answers or response to the time it has taken for similar symptoms to ease. If anyone can respond I would be so grateful. This has turned my life upside down, I can't work and my daughter has gone away to other family members as I can barely care for myself.

When I get better I will decide what I will do about all this, how I raise awareness and possibly make somebody accountable for the loss and severe distress I have experienced. 

Can anyone please help.....???

• Posted

Thank god I have found this discussion, It seems that I wasn't the only one.

I was diagnosed with positive HPylori, and prescribed a triple drugs course, including amocixillin, clarithromycin and a proton pump inhibitor to enhance the effect of antibiotics on HP.

From the fourth day onward I was having quite a bit of anxiety attacks. Strong enough to makes me very  delusional and waking up middle of the night. I was so delusional at first that I would start screening all over my body, looking for signs of cancer on my body. My hearing is somewhat impaired and MILD TINNITUS ( which I feared the most). A lost in sense of balance. 

During the day, my working efficiency dropped dramatically. I therefore would suggest everybody who are considering taking a double antibiotic course to take a few day leaves from work.

Most docs probably don't understand the mental state of anxious people. Docs are always like that. As long as your numbers, looks ok on the chart then you're not in an emergency state.

Regardless, I'm going through to the end of course. Waking up in the middle of the night to read this thread has calmed me down a alot !!!!.

• Posted

Have you recovered from this anxiety depressive state caused by medication?
    • Posted

Hello no I havnt I’m still extremely depressed now trying a third antdepressent as nothing is touching me are you going through the same I don’t no what to do next so desperate 
    • Posted

Hi Alissa, sorry you are suffering so badly.

I haven't taken Cla, but I discovered about these horrific symptoms after having them myself after taking probiotics.

I am recovering from serotonin syndrome, and many of the symptoms of that are the same as Cla symptoms including food sensitivity. I've been researching this and found that Cla acts upon a serotonin cytochrome and also raises serotonin levels. I think there is good evidence for Cla causing it. If so, antidepressants are making it worse. Look up serotonin syndrome on forums and see what you think. Once you stop Ads, it could take 3 to 18 months to recover. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Jackie that is interesting only my doctor said the opposite that all antibiotics stop serotonin altogether ie stop antidepressants from working so not really sure what to think 
    • Posted

Unfortunately, docs know very little about serotonin and the mechanisms involved with drugs. I found that the Lactobacillus acidophilus in the probiotics I took, had an action on serotonin very similar to citalopram, but I think the horrible anxiety might be to do with my gut flora diversity too. I'm a little better but my sleep is still wrecked and I'm still too anxious to leave the house. It's my little boy's birthday soon and I'm really hoping I can be there for him. He's been at my parents' since my serotonin reaction first happened.

I shouldn't have suggested that you stop taking your ADs, that could be dangerous but keep an eye on any neurological symptoms such as twitching muscles.

Hope you are feeling better now.

• Posted

I wrote on other topic anonut this but, Im on 6months course on clarithromycin, ive learned to hate every pill I take. Nausea/vomit/sad/headache. Some panic attacks which is new some ways, ive had some. I react kinda trough food. If I have to eat in front of people, I get nausea /heart rate and hot and then I cant eat. Also I sit home not doing anything, feeling generally sad. Everything got worse when they doubled the amount I take which is now 500mg x2 It was 250mgx2 which was kinda ok. Im thinking that I just stop taking these and risk getting infection. Right now I have nausea and thats cuz I havent eaten anything and reason I didnt eat yesterday was nausea... and that means I will panic whole day at work about what to do lunch hour. So yeah, not sure if the pill is the reason for nausea or pill is giving me panic attacks that gives me nausea.

Worst spring ever.

• Posted

It's been about a month since I stopped taking clarithromycin. I still feel very anxious and depressed. How long will it take for me to recover from these effects, when will I feel better as before, please say something hopeful I feel very bad.

• Posted

Depression and anxiety are mental issues, antibiotics are immune and blood pressure related.

• Posted

The dosage is too high in my record. There are certain things you can do to improve your chest infections. Work on your immune system in ways we know how. Eat and drink lots of organic vitamin C.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.