Anyone experiencing severe stomach pain after an outbreak

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had abdominal pain after the shingles has went away

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I too am experiencing sharp stabbing pains and bloating in my abdomen. Just on the end of an outbreak. I was wondering if it could be the Famvir? Which antiviral do you take?
  • Posted

I haven't heard of that symptom, but with the after effects of shingles, anything is possible. Eveyone experiences different reactions during and after the illness. It can take months to feel completely well. 

• Posted

Hi James,

Diarrhoea and abdominal pain is one of the listed side effects for Aciclovir, so I suspect it may be common across the range of antivirals. It's also a common side effect of many medications for pain relief. It would be worth checking the leaflet that came with any medication you've been on - they always list possible side effects. If you haven't kept the leaflets you can always look them up on Google.

I suppose also that it could be linked to post-herpetic neuralgia if your shingles was around your abdominal area. If so, it might be worth getting that checked out as there is medication you can take for PHN.

Hope you get some relief soon.

David 

• Posted

My wife absent had shingles in three months and she is not taking any meds but she has severe stomac pains bloating and sharp pain behind belly button.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.