Anyone Familier with Meth Psychosis?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am the mother of a 24 yr old, beautiful and fun loving daughter, up until 5 months ago. Now I don't even recognize her, she's thin, sucked up, prone to violence, and full of sadness, fear, paranoia and schizophrenia symptoms. She never laughs any more or hang out with her friends; all she does is smoke meth, shout at me, calls me names, things outlandish thoughts, her feelings aren't her own and her actions are not sane.

5 months ago she was given a large amount of crystal meth, and I believe that set off a psychosis which gradually got worse over the weeks. Ive watched her change and of course she's in such denial of her drug has problem but is aware of her thoughts and feelings. She is convinced their correct and everyone else is controlling her, she doesn't trust her family and is convinced I am being fake and keeping something from her. She's constantly thinking we are talking about her, says she hears us in her head. I cant watch tv cuz she says there's subliminal messages to her in the shows. Her violent behaviour is only verbal and once she threw water in my face, and its only when I bring up the subject of dope. The list goes on.

Ive researched Meth Psychosis and they say a childhood trauma is usually the cause, she went through one involving CPS. Also suggests genes are involved, her father was on drugs for years and I never understood his way out thinking, Meth Psychosis explains it.

Since she wont seek help, I have to wait until she is suicidal or a danger to herself before I can call the police, explain her situation and hopefully they will take her directly to mental facility, by then it could be too late and she'll have schizophrenia and wont come back from after recovery from drugs. Not all addicts get this way although they say after many years of drug abuse they will, I believe they all go through episodes but only those with underlying cause become psychotic. This happened to my daughter instantly. I was on meth in my younger years and never experienced such a thing.

If you or a loved one suffers from addiction, research Meth Psychosis. Its important to understand it and how to communicate with them is very important, for both of you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.