Anyone felt like this after a brand change??

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've been on Citalopram for 14 weeks.

Anxiety/thoughts had improved greatly & was starting to feel more positive.

At 12 weeks when i had my repeat prescription, i noticed the brand had changed from Aurobindo to sovereign.

I took my tablets as usual but 2 days after starting the new box, my anxiety & thoughts came back just like it were before starting Citalopram.

I stuck with it for a week but no change,so my pharmacist changed them back to my usual brand.

I have been on my usual brand now for a week with no change in symptoms. Still increased anxiety/thoughts.

Feel like i've been reset & got to start my journey all over again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

If so,how long for the brand to kick back in again? I feel so annoyed

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar thing happen however the worst thing was that there was no way I could get my old prescription back as it wasnt available no more. I just stuck with the new brand and it took 4 weeks to settle. so all this will settle too. Also 14 weeks still early.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I just needed some positivity as i'm starting to feel rubbish like all the progress as been un done.

I will stick with them & see how it goes.

Can i ask,after the 4 weeks did you feel like you were back to where you should be? Before the brand change

• Posted

Yes I have had trouble when brands were switched.

I now make sure to get the same brand every time, and I do well on it.

• Posted

I am going to make sure i get the same brand now too.

I will always make sure before leaving the pharmacy.

I didn't expect it to make a difference if im honest,but it sure does.

Thanks

• Posted

Ive been wondering the same. I was doing so well before. But, I talked to the pharmacist and he assured me it wasnt from switching but who knows. It is probably all in our heads just because we know there is a change. I am also at my year anniversary (today actually) of when this all started so I think Im also having some PTSD from remembering how bad it was this time last year. Who knows...I hope you settle. Youre still very early into it. You still have room for improvement.

• Posted

Glad to hear you have made improvement.

I think when you feel the way we do,the days cant come round quick enough for us to feel somewhat better.

I have been told that 14 weeks is still early, feels like i've been on them alot longer.

• Posted

hopefully your issues are resolved now. I just wanted to add, for anyone else searching this same topic, that i've just switched to the sovereign brand and i've been having a lot of trouble getting to sleep as my mind is racing and have had increased anxiety

• Posted

Hi just to confirm sovereign has me a mess it's like I haven't been taking my pill. Last few weeks I've been absolutely awful. Changed brands again and I'm fine. I'm almost certain this was the 2nd time it's happened with this brand but a few years ago I didn't note the name so can't say 100% - I'm certain though

• Posted

I've just found this site because I've had exactly the same problem after switching to Sovereign. I've been on citalopram for about 6 years and have been really well controlled in terms of symptoms after being on and off all sorts of other meds since my teens. I've had other brand changes in that time but picked up the Sovereign last weekend and honestly feel like I'm withdrawing- I've got shakes and a constant headache, can't concentrate or think clearly and have had 2 panic attacks (not had any for ages before this). I am on 40mg so a fairly high dose but it's like they've forgotten to put the drug in!

• Posted

i have been on citalopram for 4 years and generally feel really good full of life i use the brand name accord , 3 weeks ago the brand was changed to sovereign i have been getting worse feel very aggy with people really hard to let go of my thoughts basically feel like i haven't taken my pills

the doctor didn't want to know or except there is a problem with the sovereign brand but she did put through a new prescription for accord , so im guessing about a month until im back to normal hopefully no longer.

• Edited

Yes me. I have been on 20mg citralopram brand sovereign since February 2021. New prescription was sent it was for 20mg but brand accord. I have felt really bad for the past 3 days and am having to be put on sovereign again as i feel like i am having withdrawal symptoms. Its horrendous

• Edited

Generic antidepressants are an absolute scandal, and I'm really glad that forums like this one are making it possible for people to share their experiences. There's no problem with generic medicines in the main like antihistamines etc I take cheap ones myself, but generic antidepressants that go in your brain to treat a very serious illness and can affect that illness in a detrimental way is a disgrace. The problems arise as lots if people know,when changing from a branded antidepressant to a generic,or from one generic to another generic medication. I could go into all the reasons why this occurs and my personal experiences with generics going back over 13 years ago with Citalopram,but that's a long story. Don't let anyone fob you off,Dr.s or pharmacists with saying they're all the same and there's no difference. They are either lieing or ignorant.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I am starting on my original brand tomorrow as i was silly enough to take 1 of the other brand this morning. I have been doing so well with my meds but today as been difficult

• Posted

Well there are 50 different generic brands of Citalopram your pharmacist could possibly give you. I took every brand of SSRI without problems over many years, until I was first given generic Citalopram and the problems started. Two years ago I went back on Citalopram with the understanding of my Dr. that I would only be given the branded Citalopram,Ciprimil. After a couple of months I was either purposely, or mistakenly, swapped to a generic which I did take. After 3 days my anxiety returned with a vengeance and my Dr. apologised and put me back. Citalopram is widely prescribed these days to many people, and the NHS are constantly trying to keep costs down by monitoring prices. If another brand is more cost effective then that's what you'll be given. Many years ago I would find myself searching chemists for the same brand I was on after my chemist would change brands,to no avail. Then when I would plead with Dr.s and pharmacists to believe me they would shake their heads and say that there was no difference. Scandalous.

• Posted

I have to say, I've took both brands without any issues. I took Accord 10mg for a few weeks, then was changed to 20mg Sovereign and seeing improvement. I know some people do have a problem with the inactive ingredients and also GPs and pharmacist will not have it, I checked the ingredients when I was changed but they were mostly the same. I'm pleased to see someone has saw sense and changed your script, good luck D x

• Posted

i get the same brand liquid from my lovely chemists, they order it for me, but im lucky! i got a different brand and was so ill for 3 months, was tapering off but stuck on 6mg at the moment as got alot going on, to be honest its such a low dose im in no rush.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.