Anyone found losing weight helps?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Started with acid indigestion when Mum diagnosed as terminally I'll two years ago. It comes and goes. Mum died in June, Dad suffers dementia and I have been very stressed last 2 months cos can't get Social Services to produce the right care package. Symptoms include pain behind breastbone, pain between shoulder blades, coughing, liquid coming up into my mouth, burning, belching, pressure in chest and back. Very bad if I overeat! Now just diagnosed as acid reflux and now on Lansoprazole, 4 days in to a months treatment.

Due to stress I have gained about 2 stone in 2.5 years all round middle. Has anyone had relief from losing weight? I have never had tests, gastroscope etc. lansoprazole seems excellent, still a bit of discomfort in back and chest but. 90% better. Will losing weight in middle help? Anyone had relief from that?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, and sorry for your loss. Weight gain around the middle area is a major factor in acid reflux, so yes you should certainly work on losing that weight. I've always had silent reflux, but when I gained fat weight it became normal acid reflux. So I cut out all snack, chocolates, fatty foods, etc. I keep fit by going on a 4km walk every other day, and train in the gym on other days, which seems to help keeping off the extra weight.
    • Posted

Thanks Samuelson, good advice. I am assuming, then, that your hard work has paid off and your reflux is reduced now? Have started similar weight loss strategy to you but only 4 days in to it. Wondering if I will have to stay on the PPIs for the long haul.
    • Posted

I've always been in good shape keeping fit, silent reflux wasn't bothering me, then I've had a depression period 6 months ago where I cut out all exercise and went on a binge eating all the bad things, lost muscle weight, gained fat weight, silent reflux turned to full blown reflux, ever since I've been having a lump in throat sensation, I think the fat weight even caused me a hiatus hernia, need to get an endscopy soon, I get pains in the neck when sitting down or bending over, so I am getting rid of the bad habits and so far feeling better, I am just worried the weight gain caused unrepairable damage.

Give it another month or two to start feeling a differnce, it's a necessary life style change. Porridge and oatmeal are known to be good meals for reflux patients, it also lowers cholestrol and generall good for the heart, so make it part of your diet, as well as protien shakes. I mix oatmeal with protien powder and hot milk.

• Posted

PPI are not to be used for a long period, it's advised you should get off them after 6 weeks. I never took them.
  • Posted

Hi:  I'm very sorry to hear about your mother and father and the stress this has caused you.  I started suffering from reflux disease when I was about 35.  I then slept on a wedge for about 10 years and that helped to heal the esophagus.  I was able to sleep without the wedge for the next 10 years.  But then it came back about 12 years ago.  I am now 57.  I was able to deal with it for many years by chewing gum, taking antacids and enzymes with meals.  About 6 years ago I began to suffer from 3 other health issues that complicated my reflux.  When my reflux began at 35 years of age I was about 20 pounds less than I am now.  I certainly would encourage you to lose the extra weight if possible.  But, I think it is more complicated than that.  Stress does play a part in this.  When stressed many people produce acid even in an empty stomach.  There is a vertebra that can affect the stomach function.  You mentioned a pain in the mid back.  I would recommend a chiropractic adjustment to see if that helps.  If you are not sleeping on a wedge, then I would recommend  that you get one right away to prevent reflux asphyxia, which can be very dangerous. 

There are not many ways to strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter.  But one way is to force air into the stomach and then hold it in the stomach for about 20 seconds.  Then allow it to burp out.  Some people can swallow large amounts of air and then make a long burp, to annoy other people.  But, this can also be a method to exercise the  lower esophageal sphincter. 

I hope you can benefit from some of this information.  Regards, John

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

As far as PPi's go, I agree with Samuelson.  They are not meant for long term use, although I know people who have take them for ten years or more.  I was on Nexium for 1 and 1/2 years.  I thought it was my cure at first, then the side effects started.  Bloating from undigested carbs, muscle cramps and restless leg syndrome from magnesium deficiency.  Bone loss in my foot bones.  PPi's are meant to block acid production to allow errosions to heal.  Be cautious in using them. 
  • Posted

Hi,

I lost 7 kgs recently, although I wasn't actually intending too. Had put myself on a low acid diet in an attempt to fix my reflux problem. As it turns out a low acid diet is also low in fat so the weight dropped off pretty quickly without me doing anything extra. Did it help my reflux,hmm, not a lot I don't think, but the extra tyre missing from my mid region is welcome, despite the fact that my pants keeps falling down now.

Stress is a definite factor in increased acidity. My problem started 20 years ago when I started my business. I had a terrible time with mucous, and soar throats, and bad breath to boot. Only recently did I realise that I had reflux issues, causing the mucus. and associated problems. Trying to fix it now.

Losing weight will make you feel better and healthier so thats reason enough to do it.

Regards

Robert

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.