Anyone get nausea with ranitadine ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi does anyone get nausea or upset stomach with ranitadine ? I started taking one a day to see how i felt on it but did get a bit of nausea some days. My doctors has told me i should be taking 2 a day either together or one morning and one evening (which is what i chose to do). But i have had IBS type symptoms (stomach pains, gurgling) and also nausea seems worse. I spoke to the chemist and he says they can cause this and to mention it to my doctor. I just wondered if anyone else felt same taking them.  I have decided to cut down to one a day again until i can see my doctor as cant cope with feeling sick. Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I take 300 mg of Ranitadine at night and get no side effects at all.  Are  you sure that it is the Ranitidine that is causing the problems.  I have found it to be very hepful in controlling my reflux symptons.
    • Posted

Thanks Chris i am certain its the ranitadine, also it list this as one of the side effects so perhaps its just me thats sensitive to it.
  • Posted

One Ranitidine a day is unlikely to reduce your acid levels sufficiently over  a twenty four hours period.

If you feel you must, try taking an antacid for immediate pain in between.

ie Cacium Carbonate tablets from Boots.

There are a number of drugs in the Ranitidine group including Cimetidine and others. Try to see if a different one suits you better.

The most effective inhibitors are called PPIs - a different group from H2 Receptor Blockers.

But I would stay with the latter

• Posted

Thanks Derek, I was hoping the ranitadine would work for me as i did not want to take PPI's.  I have in past tried the oemprazole ? but after a week had vision problems (fragmented vision and flashing lights) and doctor at A&E said to stop as was listed on side effects.  I will see what my doctor says, i had not realised there were other tablets in same group so maybe i can find one that wont cause me problems. Cant believe so many people have problems with indigestion, its an awful thing to deal with. 
  • Posted

Yes there are a number of H2 Receptor Blockers. I know for a fact that Cimetidine is easier to take for some people. Though I'll bet that the reverse is also true.

Good for you re PPIs. They work better than H2 RBs but but but ! Though if you ever get round to Eradication Therapy they are a must for a very short time.

• Posted

Forgot to mention.

300mgms is a high dosage for Ranitidine. Yes it is used in even greater quantities for confirmed Duodenal Ulcer cases.

But you could spread the Ranitidine at 75 mgms - four times a day if the big dosage is itself giving problems.

People often get most pain at night because the stomach has emptied of food.

And sometimes when overnight pain is the only problem 300mgms can be given preferably on an empty stomach before the last meal.

• Posted

Thank you Derek, yes maybe lower dose spread out through the day would be better. 

I dont seem to have a problem at night, its during the day that i get bloating and the feeling of a lump in the throat.

I foolishly googled problems with ranitadine last night and found a site where people put their experiences with it, although a few said it worked great for them most had bad experiences. Some were pretty scary so now i really want to find a better way to control my problem. 

Since i started taking it i have had sudden sweating, nausea, constipation and bad stomach aches, nausea and vivid dreams. All these were some of the side effects that others had listed. 

I do wonder why so many people have digestive problems, maybe it is something in our diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.