Anyone get painful heartburn after taking Omeprazole? dr 40m

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have polyp on vocal cord and gastroesophageal reflux. I never had any discomfort until I took omeprazole for a little over six months. Stopped because I didn't feel right. Now I have pain from ribs to throat every day, which I never had before taking drug.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

After being diagnosed with an ulcer, hernia and gastritis, my doctor put me on 40 milligrams. I experienced bloating, dry mouth/throat, and fatigue, so without her consent I switched to 20 milligrams. Though the lower dosage doesn't remove all the symptoms of GERD and LPR, I prefer to manage the symptoms of GERD with diet, natural remedies and a combo of other antacids, than suffer the side-effects of the 40 mg dosage. Doctors seem to think PPI's are a cure-all, but they are not harmless drugs and once you begin taking them, you can't stop. Of course, the drug companies are very happy about this.
  • Posted

I agree. I did get the doctors consent to stop taking the drug. I was told I could take Zantac. I like that I can take it as needed. I want to see if (although I am burning) the symptoms will go away on their own, by not taking anything. The news on the television, had very bad things to say about these particular drugs. Long term is not a good idea. I don't take anything unless absolutely necessary. Until I see the doctor I will stick to the Zantac.
  • Posted

I can understand your concern about taking PPIs like omeprazole on a long-term basis. However, I believe you have to weigh up the risk of taking these drugs against the risk of seriously damaging your oesophagus with acid reflux.I have LPR and have taken 40mg Lansoprazole and Gaviscon Advance for the past two months with no ill effects at all. I know that, even with the drug, it's going to be some months before things improve and my oesophagus and larynx heal. I'm also being very careful with my diet. The fear of developing oesophageal or laryngeal cancer worries me more than the possibility of side effects from the drugs. I would suggest you write down your concerns and questions and make an appointment with your doctor to discuss things fully.
  • Posted

The logic of taking PPI is in my opinion far outweighed by the well documented downside.

I got arrhythmia from Nexium 40db.

It has now been recognized that cardiac damage is likely in long term use (in my case short term also) and is not recommended for anyone with existing cardiac issues. Couple this with the likelihood of brittle bones as a result of calcium depletion, the chances of stomach polyps and the lack of acid as a bacteria defence leading to HPylori overgrowth and I think it is hard to believe that reflux patients are handed these dangerous drugs by doctors as a first option.

Regards JPT

(justpassingthrough)

• Posted

After a week or so and changing my diet slightly, the heartburn I was experiencing is almost gone. I do have a doctor appointment in March. I still say taking omeprazole triggered all that pain. I'll know what my next step will be after my appointment. Thanks all for your input.
  • Posted

I know this is 7 years old, but I will say for future reference that if you've been on Omeprazole for any length of time you MUST wean off slowly or you could end up with serious rebound reflux worse than what you had before.

I'm no Doctor so always consult your Dr.

Another good source of medication info is to talk to a Pharmacist.

I was a CPhT for several years and Pharmacists Know far more about medications than Doctors often do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.