Anyone get sciatic pain after surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just had surgery on the 1st and feel I have been right on path for recovery until 2 days ago. I have been having pain on the right side just near my pelvic bone. And now I have sciatic nerve pain as now my right leg keeps having this dull ache behind my knee and my right foot aches as well. I am limping when walking. Going to try and get an appointment tomorrow because now I am worried there is infection possibly affecting and touching my sciatic nerve. Anyone else have this experience?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had vaginal vault repair and posterior fascial repair nearly four weeks ago. All went really went and I was feeling pretty good considering. Then two weeks post op I spent a day crying unable to walk, stand or sit. The pain through my groin and down left leg was unbearable. As it was a Sunday we contacted the emergency doctor at the hospital who after asking loads of questions diagnosed trapped sciatic nerve. Possibly brought on because of the strange positions I had got into whilst trying to get comfortable. I was given Diazepan to relax muscles and stronger painkillers.  48 hours later it had virtually gone. I hope they give you something to relieve the pain and you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Good to know. Makes me feel better. Sounds similar to me. I hope I can get in today. I know my doctor already has a new prescription for me waiting. Hopefully I can bear the pain to get over there and pick it up!
  • Posted

I had anterior and posterior surgery in May and had discomfort behind my right knee a couple of days after I came home which has spread up the back of my leg making it very uncomfortable to sit. It's as though the pressure on the back of my thigh from sitting sets it off. The only thing I can think of is I must have been put in a strange position during surgery and its upset a nerve. Hope it goes soon as it's getting me down now.
  • Posted

hi Mommylove,

I just PM-ed you asking for info about your surgery/recovery prior to seeing this (sorry)!

How did you get on at your appointment? I didnt realise sciatic pain could be present behind the right knee, the only pain I had during pregnancy was sciatic and I still have a dull ache in the right knee which I have never had time to see a dr about.

Thanks for your info!

Jeen

• Posted

What do you mean what did I get on at my appointment? Do you mean pain MESA?
    • Posted

Pain meds not MESA, sorry!
    • Posted

Sciatic nerve pain can start at the lower back/ upper buttock area and depending on how bad it is can go all the wall down behind the knee and even to the foot! Just depends on how bad the pressure is on the nerve. The pain won't go away until the pressure has gone away. May require a chiropractor (have had that before) or just doing some stretches. Long hours of sitting or standing will agrivate it.
  • Posted

hi Mommylove,

I meant how did you go at the appointment as in the first post you said you were trying to get an appointment re the pain (confusing, sorry).

Thanks for the sciatic info, I will keep an eye on it. Unfortunately for now the prolapse is taking all medical attention... (sad facesmile

• Posted

I didn't go the since the original appt. I just called the doctor and the dr. On call said my symptoms were pretty standard but if it got worse to go to the ER over the weekend. It didn't get any worse and hey gave me more pain Meds.

The sciatic pain can very much be related to your prolapsed because it can be pushing on the nerve and prolapse typically happens during pregnancy as well. They often go hand in hand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.