ANYONE GET TERRIBLE ACID REFLUX AFTER HAVING COVID?

Posted , 33 users are following.

i never had an issue with acid reflux. now my throat is so sore everyday! i went to ENT and he said its GERD and can be a side affect from having covid as this started directly after. anyone else experience this?

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hiya. Yep, I was ill with a very weird 'chest infection' in March - couldn't get tested but did wonder if it was Covid as I had most symptoms apart from fever or breathlessness. Two weeks afterwards, I came down with the WORST reflux and gastro problems I've ever had. Never had gastro problems in my life, but over the course of 4 months I ticked them all off, one by one as the symptoms moved downwards - eosphagus pain, reflux to the extent I would wake up choking at night, nausea, total loss of appetite, burning stomach pain, and then very, very severe diarrhea to cap it all off. None of it made any sense - I'd have a random good day (especially after eating a curry!) and then would have 3-4 days of feeling like I was dying. No matter what I ate (or didn't eat) - it made no difference. I lost a lot of weight and went through various meds (Cimetidine, Lanzoprazole, Esomperazole) and then finally settled on Omeprazole. Loads of blood tests came back negative - and I got so fed up of sending in 'stool' samples that also came back negative. Also had endoscope which showed up fine. I think the GP thought I was mad. Around the time I started taking Omeprazole, I got desperate and started taking manuka honey , priobiotics, turmeric tea and green tea. Whether it was coincidence or not, recovery suddenly started 4 months after it had all began. I'm now much better - back eating everything I did before and am cutting down on the PPIs, hoping to be off them in a couple of weeks. I still get a random 'off' day, but nowhere near as bad as before - I'd say I'm 85% back to normal now, and can see small improvements every week.

Best of luck to you - I really hope you don't get symptoms like mine, but if you do, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Hi Sunshine - my symptoms started around 10th Dec (tested positive) and around day 5-7 i developed sever shortness of breath. around day 9-10 i felt ok . during these days i had stomach issues bloating for which i took Renny and it helped a little. Since around day 12 i have developed severe abdominal bloating and difficulty in swollowing. i have been on Lansoprozole and Buscopan. Now doctor have stopped Lansoprozle as i have to be off it for two weeks to do the stool test.

i have no abdominal pain but due to bloating cannot eat. My bowl movement seems to be more frequent than normal (2-3) times a day and i seems to do little burps often.

Did Munaka honey and probiotics help? if so which Probiotics did you take?

Also if you have any other advise that is welcomed a lot. Thanks

• Edited

hiya,

i'm suffering terribly with heartburn and reflux 3 months post covid. can i ask., are you still mainly symptomless? any positive stories would really help right now! 😃

thank you!

• Posted

hi Allison, how are symptons now? My friend has tested positive to Covid and is experiencing acid reflux....she said it was not there before! I do have acid reflux but the past couple of days have been worse and different to usual. Now i know of my friend and reading yours, I am going to get tested, I do not have any other symptons though, just a very dry mouth. So this could be something else.

• Posted

Hi

I am currently recovering with Covid still have 5 days to go of isolation however is everyone just munching anti acid to sort out the constant inferno heart burn and stomach pain?.

• Edited

Hi Alison

Might not be the answer to your question but last Feb, I got a severe bout of acid reflux where I was literally spitting out the foul tasting liquid. I felt out of sorts, tired and couldn't eat much without feeling really full.

I thought I'd given myself a hiatus hernia from lifting weights so I booked in for a barium swallow to check esophagus sphincter etc etc and the consultant couldn't find anything wrong.. the valve was ok and no hernia. This lasted around 2 months then disappeared.

At the time, I found Gaviscon Advance liquid a lifesaver.

PS - I've just read the other replies. I too took Lansoprozole but stopped after 3 weeks. I can eat anything again now whereas chocolate, tomatoes etc would make it worse at the time.

Al

• Edited

Hi my symptoms started around 10th Dec (tested positive) and around day 5-7 i developed sever shortness of breath. around day 9-10 i felt ok . during these days i had stomach issues bloating for which i took Renny and it helped a little. Since around day 12 i have developed severe abdominal bloating and difficulty in swollowing. i have been on Lansoprozole and Buscopan. Now doctor have stopped Lansoprozle as i have to be off it for two weeks to do the stool test.

i have no abdominal pain but due to bloating cannot eat. My bowl movement seems to be more frequent than normal (2-3) times a day and i seems to do little burps often.

Did Munaka honey and probiotics help? if so which Probiotics did you take?

Also if you have any other advise that is welcomed a lot. Thanks

• Edited

Hi - i had difficulty swallowing too and a sore throat and was told the various stomach acids were coming back up especially lying down whilst asleep. Gaviscon Advance helped a lot at bedtime.

• Posted

thank you for the response - how long did your swollowing difficulty lasted and did you do any test or take any meds for it?

my swollowing seems to be improving but bloating/distention is constant for the past 4 weeks.

• Edited

My throat felt swollen at the back due to the reflux which made it feel like it was hard to swallow. When I realised this is what was happening, it cleared up in about a week or so with Gaviscon Advance liquid as that stops the stomach juices coming up to the throat and aggravating it. It's important to take something like Gaviscon to stop your oesophagus being burnt.

• Posted

thank you! i was on Lansoprozole for about teo weeks which is essentially a better version of gaviscon. now am off it as need to do stool test. its improving a little and it has now been 5 weeks. if it flares up again ill keep gaviscon in mind.

• Edited

ive been feeling gerd symptoms as well. Neck closing, excess saliva. I thought it was related to the pneumonia I had but since then (4 weeks) ive had a chest xray and ct scan to verify i no longer have "pneumonia". This is honestly driving me crazy

• Edited

i tested positive just over 4 weeks ago, and have been suffering from chest pains for about 3 weeks now. my doctor says its probably heartburn which i have never had before. im now on medication lansoprozal for it, but still have the chest pains

• Edited

OMG YES!!!! The heartburn has been absolutely awful!! I had covid on Christmas. In January, I finally gave in and went to urgent care due to thinking my asthma had been triggered and after a few tests, to include xrays and a 2nd visit, I was informed that I had acid reflux/gerd. In addittion to feeling like I was experiencing what I thought was an asthma attack. I had real thick spit. Kept hearing what sounded like water in my ears(doc never saw any fluid), felt like I had a ball stuck in my throat and at times, I felt as though I had been punched in the stomach, right below the center of my ribcage.

It does not matter what I eat. It does not get worse when I lay down. I NEVER had any issues prior to having COVID. Went to an ENT. Ear problems were ruled out. I had my throat scoped and was advised that my esophagus was swollen 3 times larger than it should be which explained the feeling that I had a ball stuck in my throat. I have been prescribed esomeprazole, omeprazole and famotidine. (Currently on the last 2) The feeling of a ball stuck went away within days. Other than that, I don't feel like the medication is really doing much! The ENT suggested I try drinking aloe vera juice and if I do not see any improvement, my next step is to go to a gastroenterologist to be scoped all the way into my stomach to determine if there is more going on. VERY FRUSTRATING for sure! I have also tried probiotics, eating yogurt daily, avoiding certain foods but none of it seems to make any difference.

But, I do believe that this condition was brought on by covid. I know too many people who had covid and are suffering from the same thing!!

• Posted

Yes! I've had heartburn/reflux for years, but got it under control in the last 2 years. I tested positive for Covid last Tuesday and had monoclonal antibodies treatment last Thursday. Since that time, I've head heartburn almost constantly. One Tums usually takes care of it, but I don't like taking too many as they interfere with other drugs I take.

You aren't alone.

Just took another covid test today so will see if I'm negative and if heartburn goes away

Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.