ANYONE GET TERRIBLE ACID REFLUX AFTER HAVING COVID?

Posted , 33 users are following.

i never had an issue with acid reflux. now my throat is so sore everyday! i went to ENT and he said its GERD and can be a side affect from having covid as this started directly after. anyone else experience this?

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I responded to this post very early on - had horrendous acid reflux, stomach pain, nausea, bloating, and hideous diarrhea (it was flourescent yellow - honestly!) that lasted from April 2020 to October of the same year. As it was early on in the pandemic, these symptoms were not considered by medics as due to Covid or even long Covid as they didn't meet the classic symptoms of breathing difficulty, temperature, fatigue etc

Just thought I would update with some information that might be of interest. At my final gastro appt last year, the consultant told me he was fairly certain I had been suffering from a gastro covid as they were now seeing "many patients coming through the gastro dept with similar symptoms following Covid 19 infection." He also said pro biotics were helping some people, but not others, but they had no way of knowing who or why only some found it helpful.

I told him that I still got some minor symptoms but was about 95% back to normal - I also mentioned that every time I got a cold, or minor viral illness, my gastro symptoms would flare a bit (but nowhere near as bad as it was). He said this was normal - and it could take up to a year for a post infection IBS type symptoms to go away.

Since this appt last year, I have seen even more recovery and am about 98% back to normal. I think what helped initially was- the combination of Kefir yoghurt, manuka honey, turmeric tea, green tea, mastic gum, and broccoli sprout capsules spread through the day. It was only after taking these for 2-3 weeks that the acute symptoms abated - up to then even drinking a glass of water hurt! From this point on, Omeprazole started to work (it was having no impact up to then). And then, once I came off Omeprazole in Dec 2020, time did heal the remaining symptoms.

I hope this brings hope to anyone suffering similar symptoms. It is a horrible thing to have and can feel desperate, lonely and frightening. But there is hope that it will improve.

• Edited

It seems every symptom can blame for the covid, doesn't it?

• Edited

Well if you feel the symptom after COVID. What else can it be!!!!

• Edited

I am having horrible heartburn. I think I may be having the same issue Initially my COVID symptoms started with horrible stomach aches and heartburn. Now after three weeks I am COVID negative and my stomach is killing me! What can I take to help me? I cant see my doctor until next week!

• Posted

Yes I never had acid reflux in my life till having the covid vaccine have you still got it? I have had the symptoms 18 months! any tips or help be greatly appreciated

NEW SYMPTOMS Since Aug ‘21 Pfizer Covid Vaccine (same time as Broad Spectrum Antibiotics and Nebivolol Beta Blockers)

1. Noise between belly button and left hip gurgle/growl like hunger noises and painful
      2. Food intolerances /allergies never had before so bad that for first time in 41 years not taking vitamin tablets, can’t take any of my medication and even become allergic to anti-histamines and antacids I had been relying on to manage these symptoms
      3. Whole body seizes up / rigid / becomes really tight and clicks a lot often after eating or when tense or when main triggers which are hot, cold, light, noise, emotions and motion, exercise, food
      4. Muscle Spasms from bottom of stomach to tip of tongue and inside cheeks
      5. Extreme stomach pain feels like someone wringing out clothes inside my stomach
      6. Difficulty swallowing, food and supplements getting stuck
      7. Often taste and smell fermented, chemical, carbon or fat when I breath out
      8. Piles since perineum infection and more antibiotics December 2021 some times last for 3-4 weeks re-occuring every few months
      9. Tongue swells up so much that I slurr my words and often feel like I am struggling to fit my tongue in my mouth
      10. Tearful/cry most days sometimes twice a day often linked to if I get hot, really bright sunlight, really loud noise or if get emotional
      11. Swollen body particularly legs and feet (used to occasionally get swollen feet and legs after long flight nothing like this and not on top part of body)
      12. Low heart rate & 7% irregular heart beats
      13. Clanging my teeth together when I talk jaw moves
      14. Eyes cold most of the time
      15. Hayfever
      16. Hypersensitive to chemicals such as cleaning products, paints etc
      17. Dripping nose
      18. Difficulty chewing food
      19. Muscle weakness so bad when symptoms flare up can’t use cutlery had to get different car couldn’t use steering wheel, have had to close business and am disabled
      20. Can’t bend down or move my stomach forward or move much or fast when symptoms flare up as acid/bile reflux and sometimes vomit liquid or food
      21. Jaw not in line can’t close teeth together they shake when they are about to touch
      22. Lose the use of left hand and left foot
      23. Lymph nodes in neck pound most of the day and back of neck and lower down neck sometimes with the hissing noise
      24. Issues hot and cold as in can’t touch eat or go in hot or cold, no sun.
      25. Popping in ears forcing to swallow or and popping ears when swallow Dr Milnar said I have water on my ears
      26. Regular yawns which force swallow air often when come to relax or after tension
      27. Bile or saliva coming up which if swallow makes noise in lower intestine few inches to left of belly button and very sore there, so I spit it out.
      28. Swollen/inflamed area between under ribs to the right and middle very sore to touch
      29. Terrible bad breath
      30. Pinging pulsing, throbbing, pins and needs all over body
      31. WEIGHT LOSS lost so much weight I am the lightest I remember being in my life
      32. Lost 15-27% of lower back and hip bones OSTEOPEROSIS
      33. MUSCLE WASTING Bone Consultant said due to weight loss and allergies that developed with food
      34. Feel hung over next day if eat a lot of sugar, glucose sachets or simple carbs
      35. Low Blood Glucose levels diagnosed REACTIVE HYPOGLYCIEMIA
      36. Issues breathing choking DIAGNOSED ASTHMA
      37. VERTIGO as a result of the NEBIVOLOL BETA BLOCKERS
      38. Lining of throat feels on fire if take Omeprazole tablets or Gaviscon Medicine
      39. No 36. And 27. so bad was in A&E 4 times and once in ambulance outside house for an hour, I have been in a hospital more times in the last 18 months than I have in my previous 43 years! I had been self isolating it was the last thing I wanted to do but each time thought I could die, one of the times I was staying with my sister and her husband they witnessed how bad it got for me

EXISTING SYMPTOMS WORSE some since shingles some since ME/CFS some since menopause

1. Restless on edge
      2. Incontenence issues
      3. Sore throbbing tingling glands in front, side and back of neck
      4. Wind every day, used to get about once a year
      5. Bloating every day used to get with time of the month when had periods or eating certain foods but rare
      6. Difficulty concentrating
      7. fatigue
      8. Sore throbbing tingling teeth, jaw, right ear
      9. Very loud hissing in ears much worse
      10. Pulsating/vibrating tinnitus much worse
      11. Swollen inflamed ears
      12. Swollen inflamed gums to the point my mouth guard no longer fitted because gums so swollen
      13. Sensitivity to bright light and loud noises worsened Terribly
      14. Prescription for glasses has changed twice in 10 months
      15. Problems circulation parts of body freezing, parts of body numb, wake up in bed with half of leg or arm numb
      16. Low BP worse
  • Edited

I know this is long past since this post was created, but for those that are suffering with Acid Reflux after having Covid and find this website in your search for help, you are not alone. I found a forum like this a few months ago when I was suffering from acid reflux the worst, and was desperate for any hope or help. I had every Omicron that went around last year, (2022), and each time i got sick, I got acid reflux a couple weeks after recovering from the virus. With the first 2 bouts with Omicron, I recovered from the reflux within a few weeks. Then when I got Omicron the last time in September, the reflux came back, and was horrible for months, till I finally started to get better about a month ago (January 2023). Its not 'gone' yet, but is very noticeably better. Sometimes now I can go for 2 weeks without much for symptoms, before it rears it's ugly head again for a few days. It's been a real struggle, and throughout the last 6 months it seems to 'morph'. There were weeks when I couldn't sit down because that would make it worse. Then it would reverse and for weeks sitting would be good, but standing or walking made it worse. It didn't matter what I ate, when I ate, or anything. Although I did do my best to control it, by eating soft foods, and foods that were not acid forming or triggering. Sometimes prilosec helped and sometimes it made it worse. I carried a bottle of Mylanta with me at all times, and also foods like watermellon and bananas, almonds, and baby food because if I got hungry while away from home and didn't eat, the acid would get really bad. Water seemed to cause the acid to back up into my throat even worse, so I even avoided drinking too much water, but at the same time I felt the need to drink water to help wash the acid down. It was so frustrating! I had an upper endoscopy, which showed everything looked normal. The Dr finally told me I would probably just have to 'suck it up' until the blasted thing ran it's course. But in the mean time to keep using the prilosec when it helps, and the antacids. I never had acid reflux before covid. And I now know several other people who have had the same thing happen. I found a forum similar to this one when I was suffering the most with this, and many on that forum were there to encourage and give hope to others suffering from post covid acid reflux. They all said to hang in there, that it does get better, and most of them got over it. I have found mine too has gradually improved. Although not gone, it's not anywhere near what it was a few months ago. I hope there comes a day when I can enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning again, but until then, it's baby steps. A few months ago it was one step forward, two steps back. Now I have to say I think it has become 2 steps forward and 1 step back. So like those that I found encouragement from, I would like to offer hope. Don't give up finding things that work for you. Eating foods that are easily digested, low acid foods, soft foods, probiotics, no coffee, tea, pop, acidic juice, or alcohol, try to stay away from sugar because it causes inflammation in the stomach. I also found chewying sugar free gum helped me a lot. Especially real licorice gum. Hang in there, from others I have heard from, and my own experience, this does get better.

• Posted

THANK YOU so much Denice59917 I am going to get some sugar free gum tomorrow, I have developed reactive hypoglycemia which is low blood sugar, real liquorice gum sounds a good idea, anything else you can suggest? as I have lost 4.5 stone and 27% of my bones, had two dieticians who haven't been very helpful, my biggest issue I can't have fibre so seem to not really be able to eat very healthy at all!

• Posted

Yes I never had acid reflux in my life till having the covid vaccine have you still got it? I have had the symptoms 18 months! any tips or help be greatly appreciated

NEW SYMPTOMS Since Aug ‘21 Pfizer Covid Vaccine (same time as Broad Spectrum Antibiotics and Nebivolol Beta Blockers)

1. Noise between belly button and left hip gurgle/growl like hunger noises and painful
    2. Food intolerances /allergies never had before so bad that for first time in 41 years not taking vitamin tablets, can’t take any of my medication and even become allergic to anti-histamines and antacids I had been relying on to manage these symptoms
    3. Whole body seizes up / rigid / becomes really tight and clicks a lot often after eating or when tense or when main triggers which are hot, cold, light, noise, emotions and motion, exercise, food
    4. Muscle Spasms from bottom of stomach to tip of tongue and inside cheeks
    5. Extreme stomach pain feels like someone wringing out clothes inside my stomach
    6. Difficulty swallowing, food and supplements getting stuck
    7. Often taste and smell fermented, chemical, carbon or fat when I breath out
    8. Piles since perineum infection and more antibiotics December 2021 some times last for 3-4 weeks re-occuring every few months
    9. Tongue swells up so much that I slurr my words and often feel like I am struggling to fit my tongue in my mouth
    10. Tearful/cry most days sometimes twice a day often linked to if I get hot, really bright sunlight, really loud noise or if get emotional
    11. Swollen body particularly legs and feet (used to occasionally get swollen feet and legs after long flight nothing like this and not on top part of body)
    12. Low heart rate & 7% irregular heart beats
    13. Clanging my teeth together when I talk jaw moves
    14. Eyes cold most of the time
    15. Hayfever
    16. Hypersensitive to chemicals such as cleaning products, paints etc
    17. Dripping nose
    18. Difficulty chewing food
    19. Muscle weakness so bad when symptoms flare up can’t use cutlery had to get different car couldn’t use steering wheel, have had to close business and am disabled
    20. Can’t bend down or move my stomach forward or move much or fast when symptoms flare up as acid/bile reflux and sometimes vomit liquid or food
    21. Jaw not in line can’t close teeth together they shake when they are about to touch
    22. Lose the use of left hand and left foot
    23. Lymph nodes in neck pound most of the day and back of neck and lower down neck sometimes with the hissing noise
    24. Issues hot and cold as in can’t touch eat or go in hot or cold, no sun.
    25. Popping in ears forcing to swallow or and popping ears when swallow Dr Milnar said I have water on my ears
    26. Regular yawns which force swallow air often when come to relax or after tension
    27. Bile or saliva coming up which if swallow makes noise in lower intestine few inches to left of belly button and very sore there, so I spit it out.
    28. Swollen/inflamed area between under ribs to the right and middle very sore to touch
    29. Terrible bad breath
    30. Pinging pulsing, throbbing, pins and needs all over body
    31. WEIGHT LOSS lost so much weight I am the lightest I remember being in my life
    32. Lost 15-27% of lower back and hip bones OSTEOPEROSIS
    33. MUSCLE WASTING Bone Consultant said due to weight loss and allergies that developed with food
    34. Feel hung over next day if eat a lot of sugar, glucose sachets or simple carbs
    35. Low Blood Glucose levels diagnosed REACTIVE HYPOGLYCIEMIA
    36. Issues breathing choking DIAGNOSED ASTHMA
    37. VERTIGO as a result of the NEBIVOLOL BETA BLOCKERS
    38. Lining of throat feels on fire if take Omeprazole tablets or Gaviscon Medicine
    39. No 36. And 27. so bad was in A&E 4 times and once in ambulance outside house for an hour, I have been in a hospital more times in the last 18 months than I have in my previous 43 years! I had been self isolating it was the last thing I wanted to do but each time thought I could die, one of the times I was staying with my sister and her husband they witnessed how bad it got for me

EXISTING SYMPTOMS WORSE some since shingles some since ME/CFS some since menopause

1. Restless on edge
    2. Incontenence issues
    3. Sore throbbing tingling glands in front, side and back of neck
    4. Wind every day, used to get about once a year
    5. Bloating every day used to get with time of the month when had periods or eating certain foods but rare
    6. Difficulty concentrating
    7. fatigue
    8. Sore throbbing tingling teeth, jaw, right ear
    9. Very loud hissing in ears much worse
    10. Pulsating/vibrating tinnitus much worse
    11. Swollen inflamed ears
    12. Swollen inflamed gums to the point my mouth guard no longer fitted because gums so swollen
    13. Sensitivity to bright light and loud noises worsened Terribly
    14. Prescription for glasses has changed twice in 10 months
    15. Problems circulation parts of body freezing, parts of body numb, wake up in bed with half of leg or arm numb
    16. Low BP worse
  • Posted

Hi,

I had covid in may 2022 and took over 9 months to get over breathing difficulties and spent the next 2-3 months getting better and recovering fully. I suddenly developed heartburn which then developed into abdominal pain and nausea and then burning throat and mouth and sibo. This has been going on for over 12 weeks now on ppi and h2 anatagonist treatment and symptoms seem to be going backwards and mouth symptoms are getting worse on occasions. I wonder if was to do with my extended recovery of covid last year. I am hoping for the best and that I will recover in the near future if I can find the causes and get the right treatment for my symptoms. I feel awful after 12 weeks of expensive private medical care I was trying to speed up my recovery and have made myself worse so far in the process.If anyone can suggest a recovery plan that will work for lpr type symptoms as I have no future with these symptoms.thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.