Anyone getting stomach cramps , nausea and on/ off vomiting

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Just wanted to know if anyone else suffering with stomach cramps,nausea and on/off vomiting when going hyper.

My consultant says its nothing to do with the hyperthyroid and has referred me to stomach consultant . Im def not celiac ( had biopsy) had the camera down my throat to stomach and tests done on different biopsys from stomach before I was diagonsed with Hyperthyroid in hospital.

It stopped after starting 2weeks of carbimozole but at the mo drugs have been stopped for 4weeks as Endo consultant wants to see what my bloods are like without carb as I was reduced from 20mg then 10mg then 5mg and then went hypo on 5mg . So 4weeks bloods without any drugs.

Its been nearly 2weeks and all symtoms racing heart , palpatations, sweating, tearful weightloss etc started after 1week and getting worse each day !

Supposed to be going on holiday in a week , blood test check after I get back . You know when your body is not right, I feel terrible again.

Just dont know what to do ! Should I ask for an early blood test check or just push on through it for 2 more weeks ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The fact that you go from hyper to hypo so fast on treatment with Carbimazole makes me wonder whether you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  Ask your doc to test your antibodies for that.  If you have Hashimoto's, then Carbimazole will be too strong to treat it and there are other things you can do for that but you need to confirm the cause of your hyperthyroidism first.

• Posted

Hi Mellisa93605, nausea is sometimes caused by liver problems. The liver plays an important role in the metabolism of thyroid hormone and thyroid disease can be associated with liver abnormalities. On top of that antithyroid medication can put a strain on the liver and lead to subclinical hepatotoxicity.

In general, Carbimazole is well tolerated but just to be sure have your liver values been checked recently?

• Posted

I did have that symptoms prior my methimazole... But once i started it stopped like you did ... I too get the swings... at 10mg x3 per day.... ask and try and lower your dosage to 5mg per day... As my endo wanted RAI but I have grave's so not good for my eye.... I went to 5mg per day and it's ok... I haven't check for Hashimoto yet.. Maybe i am

• Posted

Thankyou all for the great advice.

Ive decided to take my blood forms from Endo and get them done tom before my holiday. Then i can take medication with me and then call secretary whilst im there and if i need to restart them I have them. If it isnt my thyroid going hyper again then i may be having another lupus attack somewhere so i'll get a full bloods for rhuematology too tom morning.

Cover all angles , luckly as I usually take strong auto immune medications ( methotrexate injections weekly) and biological infusions 6 mthly ( ive stopped at the mo whilst getting thyroid sorted)

I have a passport in pathology( so can walk in anytime to get bloods for Rhuematology anyway)

This is the problem as i have a few auto immune disorders it complicates things for my Endo consultant.

My Endo is also checking for Addison's disease due to me being on steriods intra muscular or IV EVERY MTH for 2years then I suddenly decided to stop them in Jan as I felt an improvement and was able to walk again . Stopping steriods suddenly apparently can be very bad as your adrenal glands as it stops producing its own steriod and can make you very unwell stomach wise etc ( my Rhuematology team said nothing of this to me may I add), but still doesnt explain the thyroid but my Lupus does seem to attack everything .

As already had my left kidney removed ( vascular problem) , right kidney bypass as lack of blood to this kidney too and mid adominal Aortic patch due to narrowing of mid Aorta.

Also attacked tissue around my heart causing reoccuring pericarditis and inflamation of my left lung my joints are affected too. So surely Lupus could attack other things like the thyroid ?

I feel so crap , ill and miserable today . Its been a sh*tty 3 years and weirdly out of all the surgerys,Lupus , Sjogreons syndrome, reoccuring pericarditis ( all in last 3 years attacking everything! ) this thyroid thing seems to be the worse . I feel so uncontrolled with my emotions. I never cry normally . Im strong and get on with things but feel like I just want to cry until there is no tears left. Im sick of being sick ( weird i know)

Anyway thankyou all for listening and giving your great advice. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.