Anyone give any exercises to strengthen abdominal muscles ???

Posted , 2 users are following.

In September I was ill I had Gastritis, and was being sick, I  felt something go, muscle wise in my abdomen on the right side. I went to the doctors and was told it was Gastritis and got put on tablets, I still had this pain on the right hand side, so went to the doctors and said it was probably muscle damage for being sick, as I had had blood tests and  the doctor felt my stomach and could not find anything wrong.

Eventually it start going away.  I had a bit of pain here and there in that area, but it did not last long. In December I got a cold and that upset me and made me get acid reflux, but no pain on the right side.

On Saturday, I had a stretch in bed and felt something go again on the right side. I know it is not acid reflux as that is in the centre and I can have tablets for that. Back in October, I did think it was because I was stretching when I woke up.

I have started putting deep heat on the area to try and ease it. Is there any exercises I can do to strengthen the muscle? 

thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes there are lots of exercises you can do to strengthen the abdomen muscles but firstly you need to make sure the original strain is healed, if just stretching in bed in the morning is causing a problem its very possible you have a small hernia, if that's the case you still need to go back to your GP and let him either confirm this or tell you its not, then you can also ask if its OK to start an exercise regime, swimming would be good and cycling, not pull ups yet or anything too harsh.

• Posted

When the doctor did examine my stomach area, she didn’t find anything. Plus it does get better for a while.

I am 25 by the way.  Not sure if that means anything. If it is no better in a week i will go back and try and get an appointment. 

• Posted

Don't think age is relevant with a abdominal hernia but I think she would have felt it, I would say that if you exercised before and you werent having any probs then its probably that like you said, you stretched/twisted somehow causing mating a small tear in a muscle, what exactly did your GP suggest to help relieve it, rest I would have thought and OTC meds

• Posted

Maybe, not mating, wish we could edit these posts
    • Posted

JUst rest and ibuprofen or paracetamol, or the muscle spray. Ive been using deep heat.  I have had a hot bath, which was good, was falling a sleep in the bath.

Before I was ill in September I was going swimming every week.

I have been walking everday bar a matter of days due to illness.

Hopefully I can have a better nights sleep tonight, last night the pain was on my mind most of the night

• Posted

Its possible that your gastritis has caused your colon to be sore as well, this will cause pain anywhere in your lower abdomen, how long a go did you see your GP
    • Posted

The pain is on the right hand side, under my ribs. So quite high and that is where i felt the “pull” when I stretched the other day. Plus if is the gastritis i have the tablets and have been taking them so it is unlikely to be that.

Hmm, I think it was between 7-5days before Christmas Day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.