Anyone got a good supplement they use to reduce unbound iron?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My ferritin is coming down nicely,166 now from nearly 1,500  eleven months ago.My TS is still a little high at 59%,although it was as high as 90%.I was hoping it would be below 50% by now.

Some people swear by iP6 and lactoferrin to bind iron.Does anyone recommend these or something else or can I expect TS% to go below 50 when ferritin falls further?

I can't get anywhere with my gastro so that is a blind alley.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

According to this slide ( http://slideplayer.com/6667514/23/images/47/Response+of+Transferrin+Saturation+and+Serum+Ferritin+to+Phlebotomy.jpg ) based on Zakim and Boyer's Hepatology A Textbook of Liver Disease, ferritin drops first, and then transferrin starts dropping as ferritin gets below 500 ng/mL (ug/L).  Everybody's different, but this does suggest you can expect your transferrin saturation to drop more. 

There's a similar graph at http://haemochromatosis.org.uk/haemochromatosis/treatment/ with the explanation that, "Monitoring of transferrin saturation and serum ferritin is used to assess whether venesection is required more or less often. The transferrin saturation should be maintained below 50% and the serum ferritin below 50 µg/l.The graph below shows how treatment may affect blood iron levels during treatment. Serum ferritin decreases steadily, but transferrin saturation remains high until iron deficiency occurs, then falls sharply."

• Posted

Thanks,GillianA.Although you apparently sent your reply 4 days ago it has just come through now.Perhaps as it has a link in it.
    • Posted

Hi Eric,

You're right - I thought the graphs were really helpful in showing how transferrin saturation doesn't come down until the end of de-ironing and I couldn't figure out any easy way to say where the graphs were without using links . . .

I hope you found the graphs helpful.

All the best,

Gillian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.