Anyone got arthritis and uc?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all I was diagnosed with arthritis in both my hips two weeks ago. (At the grand old age of 36) and after seeing orthopaedic consultant he thinks it may be related to my ulcerative colitis. I was quite Suprised at this as only have mild proctitis which is well controlled with pentasa. Anyone else have experience of This?

thanks in advance

vicki

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's referred to as Enteropathic Arthritis, which is basically arthritis due to bowel disease, and it can manifest even if bowel disease is well controlled. I have it too, mainly lower back, legs, feet and hands, some days it's manageable, but it's increasingly getting harder to live with, constant pain can get you down, as of yesterday I was given Butrans pain relief patches, GP thinks active colitis makes it likely you don't absorb things in the gut so well, but I'm averaging 12 loo visits per 24hr, but if tablets painkillers aren't helping, maybe enquire about patch. Arthritis first appeared for me about 8 years ago, had uc 27 years and bowel cancer 7 years ago, try not to worry too much, it's not like rheumatoid where you become bent in joints, and it can come and go. I still work full time and travel abroad etc, it doesn't have to stop your life you just work your days around it.
    • Posted

I belong to the PMR forum but check this one as well because a very good friend has UC and suffers badly from swollen joints as well as pouchitis (most of the time). The arthritis seems to travel through out her body. She is scheduled for hip surgery.

Have any of you experienced a red rash that is very hot and painful and also comes and goes? This is her latest complication. She is 54 and has had UC for over 20 years. Any info is much appreciated since her Dr's don't have any ideas.

• Posted

Hi Vicki

So sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. 

I've had groin pain for nearly 2 years and have always suffered with back pain after a fall. I was told I had spd after having my kids but my youngest is 18 months old and I still have it?! It's supposed to disappear when u give birth. My consultant said he doesn't think it's related but when I took the pred foam is pretty much went away but stopped the foam and the pain has come back. I'd put money on it being related to the UC but he won't seem to run any tests for me. How was yours diagnosed as would like to push for testing? 

xxxx

• Posted

Hi there, yep join the club! i was diagnosed with arthritis in Oct 13 then developed UC diagnosed in Jan-Feb 14 i too was very surprised when my consultant told me that both were linked together and put me on Sulfasalazine which does for both! but did not work for me so i went back on mesalazine and im still not there yet with it under control (sad face) i have been told to cut out sugar so im going to give that a go and cut out all sweet products. Good luck with your UC and arthiritis.
  • Posted

Thanks guys. Mummajojo I went to physio first because of lower back pain (in my area you self refer for physio, don't have to go thru gp which is handy). As my back got better my hip got worse and the physio referred me for an X-ray as they thought it was an impingement. The arthritis was diagnosed from X-ray. Could you go thru physio?

2daloo that's handy to know, if you can kill two birds with one stone sounds good I'll look into it and discuss with Ibd consultant.

phew I actually feel like I actually falling apart! 

• Posted

Hiya

I've been having physio for months but being treated for spd, (pubis dysfunction) from childbirth but the docs don't know why it hasn't dissapeared as it does normally after childbirth. The pain has eased since being on Asacol and pred foam but I swear it's linked but my consultant just laughs at me when I mention it & he says that the timing of the spd which started 18 months ago wouldn't link with my uc which was diagnosed in August 2014! I'd love an x-ray but guessing that he won't put me forward for one. Xx

• Posted

Goodness the docs do annoy me sometimes they can be very blinkered! Would you have any luck going to your gp instead? X
  • Posted

Steph63306, thanks for that have Ben doing a bit of reading around enteropathic arthritis and it def seems to fit. I've been troubled with plantar fascitiitis and achilles tendinopathy this year too and it all fits into the picture. Am going to request some more blood tests I think. X
  • Posted

Hi Vicki

Just wondered how u were doing? How's the pain in your hips? I'm gonna just see how things go & as soon as the pain comes back with a vengeance, then I'll call my GP & ask for an x-ray. Just seems strange how I could hardly walk & since being on all these meds, the pain has pretty much disappeared! I've changed my consultant so fc I'll get more help with my new one! Xxxx

• Posted

Hi sory only just seen this. Well I went to see my gp who has referred me to a rheumatology consultant for possible enteropathic arthritis. Blood tests all normal but not had HLA B27 back yet which is a gene 70-90% of people with this type of arthritis have.

I've been doing a lot of reading and it's all very interesting. It's also linked with psoriasis which I don't have but my father does so obv this type of thing runs in the family. 

I have my appointment next week so I'll let you know.

when are you next due to see your Ibd consultant?

xx

• Posted

HI, yes I was diagnosed with OA a month ago in R hip and have had UC since I was 19. At only 39 with 2 young children, it's all a bit rubbish! Need to speak to my UC consultant as to a connection as OA consultant was not sure. 
    • Posted

Yes jb that's how I feel lol it's a bit rubbish. I feel like I was lovely and healthy until I hit 30 and it's all gone horribly wrong since then, contracting cmv (potentially foetus damaging virus) in pregnancy, then rupturing my uterus during childbirth and almost dying. Followed by pancreatitis a few years late and diagnosis of ulcerative colitis the year after that and now blinking arthritis!!

ive done a lot of reading around enteropathic arthritis and it seems my symptoms fit (family history of psoriasis, enthesitis which is inflammation of where tendons meet bone, most commonly plantar fascitis and achilles tendonitis both of which I've had in the last year) I also had inflammatory back pain (when it's worse in the mornings or after periods of rest) earlier this year for about 4 months, which coincided with a flare of my uc symptoms.

ive asked for a referral to rheumatology because if it is that the are medicines you can take to treat both uc and arthritis which I'm quite exited about  as it's a real pain (literally lol) not being alble to take ibuprofen.

seeing them next week so I can let you all know.

havent actually discussed with my Ibd consultant yet I though I'd see what rheumatology say. 

• Posted

hi. I have got arthritis (rheumatoid) 3 years ago I was diagnosed with uc the pan variety ( whole bowel & back passage) 6 weeks later I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis which I have in both eyes & body.Im waiting for biopsy results, as they have found my bowels have a lot of polyps now to join the ulcers. Fingers crossed. I was told MG was in my body & high dose of prednisalone I was taking brought it out. I now have ulcers in front passage & have been told they are not related to uc. I have also been told they are. I dont know which version is right one. Wish someone could help me. I could start a stall selling lucky white heather

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.