anyone had a big toe joint replaced?

Posted , 22 users are following.

I have had a big toe joint replacement = all is not well - eight months down the track = been very tough = can pnly just get a pair of flat shoes on - with difficulty.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

yes about 2-1/2 weeks now since surgery i was walking with a knee high surgical boot right afterwards but limited walking ( home only & no driving - it was the big toe on the right foot). NO showering either ( glad it wasn't summertime)

Stitches came out 2 days ago & that was a bit painful , I have to keep a gauze pad over r the incision area with a stick-to-itself bandage & change it daily No bath but I can shower.

It was a removal of bone spurs with the titanium implant on one bone , the largest bone closest to the end of the foot .There are more than one youtune videos of the procedure - the one where they begin showing toe different sizes if implants & the surgical tools is the best in my opinion.

Yesterday & today i have some discomfort in the tie area (too) but mire do in my right calf, probably because i am walking more than with the boot & those muscles get sore easily . It isn't as bad today.

I did break that toe 2+ years ago & also broke off a bone spur. But the osteoarthritis has been there for 35 years or more ( I am 72 this year); I think it's genetic as my father had similar problems.

The surgery was done by a podiatrist who said 2 years ago I would know when I was ready for surgical intervention; a custom-made orthotic dud not help (I had one about 15 years ago from a different DPM & one from my current DPM when i broke the toe).

I don't know anyone who had this surgery/implant, only people who had bunion removal surgery . I have one on my left big toe which isn't a problem & my DPM says don't do surgery if it isn't bothering you.

I am going to post more here as my toe heals in case anyone else needs to see how it goes. Good luck .

• Posted

imageimage

top photo showing large bone spur; note 2nd photo post op 8 weeks - still some swelling and scar is barely visible.

• Posted

i am the original poster. I am a clinical nurse, on my feet 12+ hours a day. I am about 13 months postop now. and I must say, I am doing great. went hiking last week for 3 solid days in the mountains. my feet (most especially the left, which was worse to begin with) feel achy afterward, but it is relieved with 400mg of advil, or extra strength tylenol. I wear any type of shoe, to include flat flip flops, and still feel the achiness. I assume I just will deal with arthritis in my feet forever, unfortunately. I let the joints get so bad before surgery that I have probably done damage to all of the joints.

All of that being said..... I am extremely happy with where I am today. i can even wear a low wedge heel with no pain!!! I think my surgeries went smoothly, even considering he had to shorten one bone. I did deal with lack of motion for what I considered a long time. But 13-14 months postop, I am really happy I did it.

I really hope everyone is able to find relief of pain, and something that works for you!!!! I posted my surgeon's name previously, but here it is again if interested:

Dr. Nicholas Adams

Carolina Foot and Ankle

Raleigh, NC

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing well! I would be interested to hear what implant was used in your 1st mpj? I don't recall seeing the actual name in your post. Thanks...

• Posted

I only had one surgery per foot. to be honest with you, I dont know what kind of implants i got. they are titanium, and that's all I really know. 🤷‍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.