Anyone had a partial blocked bowel after abdominal hysterectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had all bar my cervix removed 3.5 weeks ago.  Was in hospital for 5 days all of which spent on a drip as was unable to drink much more than was needed for my meds, and eating was pretty much non existent. Everwhere from my chest to my feet was swollen and rock hard.  Getting on the scales once home I had put on a stone. Talking to the nurse a week later she explained it seemed I had a paralytic ileus.  Explains why so much attention was spent listening to my guts!  Gradually over the next week I got some appetite back, bowels functioning better etc, and as the weight fell off, swelling came down, moving about became much easier. I still have a swollen abdomen - probably about 2 sizes up from pre op, and not yet able to wear a bra, but am thankful for every improvement. 

I'm wondering if anyone else had this, and if so, how my recovery may improve over the next few weeks. Also how others have fared getting back to driving, low impact exercises etc.  is it normal to  still keep nodding off at this stage?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear you've been suffering since your operation. Hopefully someone will be able to offer positive advice and experiences.  I think it is usual to be tired after an operation, Your body needs to rest and recover from the anaesthetic. Drink plenty of water and take little walks. Wishing you continued recovery x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.